beginner

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by lloyd, 13 Oct 2013.

1. lloyd

lloyd

new to marine tanks etc and just got my first marine tank . i have live rock and sand ect and am looking for recommended hardy fish to begin with any good suggestions ? :)

2. Guest

3. Trasique

Trasique tahir

Welcome, has your tank been through the cycle already.

4. Raccoon

Raccoon

Welcome to Masa. You will find lots of help and advise here.

I started my tank in Dec last year. I have had some hard times, lost fish and have finally managed to find the balance. The best advise to give you, is be patient (I know its hard, when all you want is to have your tank up and running and with the fish that you want). My bit of advise, is go get yourself a permit from the Post Office and go down to the beach and catch some fish for your tank once it's been up and running and has cycled for a while.
    Get yourself a Blenny (found in the rock pools), they are really hardy and the best part is, it cleans the bottom of the tank and you can keep it when your tank is up and running properly.

Good luck

5. OP
    lloyd

lloyd

very much appreciated , your advice will go a long way.
    :)

6. pkc

pkc

Excellent advice racoon!
    I am a firm believer in new to the hobby reefers going with shoreline life they catch them selves to begin with!
    This is invaluable to get the feel of the hobby before they purchase stressed life from an lfs.
    The stress from collection and holding by commercial guys, then the transporting and the shops tanks onto kids quite often playing against the glass and human shapes that are not usually in the sea where the fish were caught moving in front of the aquariums, all this is stressful and seriously damages many reef fish internally and if the hobbyist is not experienced, then it’s hard for them to bring the fish back to good health.
    Plus the most damaging time for reef life is the first 48 hours, if they are under considerable stress responses through this time.
    They can die as far off as a year from this time and the damage done to their organs during that time.
    If an inexperienced reefer gets his or her catch home quickly and beats what we collectors, when it was commercial for me as well, new this as the 48 hour killer.
    They can have a simple success to carry them over and learn from to get those very special over seas species from the shops and keep them successfully, far easier!

Plus the prettier and hard working shoreline species experience a lot in their time and become tough!

Recent Posts