Beginner

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I've been keeping freshwater aquariums for the past 10 years. i started keeping discus about 3 years ago and i think im ready for the big leap. Ive been to a few pet stores and wow its expensive. What do i need to start up? ive been told to get T5 lighting system,protein skimmer,calcium reactor,chiller and wavemakers. my 5ft tank is currently being drilled and a 3ft sump installed. I want to do this right. what equipment should i get thats gonna last. i think i should mention that i would like to keep coral and fish.

thanks

Welcome to MASA coral reef, have a look thru the "For Sale" forum here, plenty of deals you can pick up so far as equipment is concerned. IMO a chiller is not needed at start up stage, skimmer, lights and flow/return pumps should be first.

Welcome to our forum bud. It's a little bumpy from here, but just over the horizon is the most amazing satisfaction you will ever get..... Welcome...

Welcome
Well to start:
•Good protein skimmer (Reeftek)

•DSB(deep sand bed)(15cm)(must be longer than what its wide)(in the sump that is)

•Wavemakers(well vortech but thats gonna eat +-R4000 from your wallet)
You could go with powerheads obviously not the whole wavemaker experience, but will definently work the only real diffrence is that wavemakers create pulsing waveaction where powerheads just provide continuos flow

•Good salt(Seachem or Brightwell and if you want corals make sure its reef salts)

•Lights(LED's very expensive, Metal halides also expensive and T5's will do the job make sure you get actinics to provide for photosynthesis in the zooanthalae in the corals)

•Substrate (go with aragonite it buffers the water with Ca and also doesn't allow for as much detritus to settle as crushed coral)

And I hope I didn't forget something ,but forget about chillers and all that calcium reactors for the start If you later become serious you can invest in them ,but for the start the above mentioned will allow for a good tank.

Welcome boet! No you dont need a chiller or a calcium reactor. Those are just expensive toys and you dont need them unless you plan on keeping lots of sps and Mh lighting. Just check the guys set ups here and then you will know what you want. Keep it simple :)

hello and welcome to masa, its great to hear that you are converting over from bathwater fish, marines really are alot more fun.

take your time on here and do some reading, ask some questions and you will soon be on the way to understanding what you need. the basic equipment has been covered so i'll skip that for now:)

good luck with the tank drilling, hope it goes well

Welcome to MASA coral reef, glad you joined us. The link that coswecanfly are talking about is in my signature - starting a marine tank - a great article ;)

Welcome and as you will find a lot of useful info here..keep on asking

Back
Top Bottom