Beginner

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Gerald.A.D.Lucas-Farley, 13 Jul 2010.

1. Gerald.A.D.Lucas-Farley

Gerald.A.D.Lucas-Farley

Hello to one and all, In the last few weeks I have decided to add a marine aquarium to my existing freshwater tropical Aquaria. So I am open to all the advice I can get, of a constructive nature. I live in the Philippines so I have quite a wide variety if fish, invertabrates and rocks available to me. All I need now is to understand how to set up and manage my marine tank. The tank is 8ft long 15inches wide and 30inches deep, it holds approximately 700litres and my intention is to set it up and just put rocks and sand with an UGF and let it filter for about a month before I introduce anything. So I look forward to comments and advice. Cheers Gerald.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. clinton stanford

clinton stanford

Welcome to MASA Gerald:thumbup: there is alot of info on this forum about starting marine tanks ect ect.read through a couple threads and look at some of the members system's, that will give you a good indication of what you need to do and what you can achive in this hobby;)
    good luck and ask lots of quistions:)

4. flipwhip

flipwhip

Welcome to MASA…...:thumbup:

5. Boegie

Boegie

Welcome

6. crispin

crispin

welcome to masa and finally to a satisfying way of keeping fish:)

a small warning, once you start with marines and learn about the wonderful world of salty things, those bath water tanks are in danger of being converted too:)

jokes aside, there is a fairly large gap in the way we keep marines and fresh water systems and the learning curve can be really steep. there is a large amount of research you'll need to do and we at masa will help you all we can. But please make sure you open your mind and take the advice we give seriously as we have no finacial incentive to the advice we give, we base it on collective experience and what is best for your live stock and secondly what is best for your pocket. IE read and listen to what goes on in the forums its the best advice you will find anywhere (including books from experts as here you get the concertrated minds from a number of people, often in slight disagreement but all based on whats best for your tank:)

thats a lovely sized tank to start off with (i started with the same) and youll have alot of satisfaction from setting it up, so long as you go slow and do it right first time.

welcome to masa and happy posting:)

7. boetie

boetie

welcome

8. SchyffS

SchyffS Reef Aquarist

Hi Farley, welcome.
    Are you any relation to Dr. Randy Holmes-Farley?, Google him, you might be surprised how extensively the marine knowledge runs in your blood. :lol:
    UGF, wow, you are brave...but it can be done, i only know of one reefer that still runs a UGF succesfully and his tank is 40 years old.
    Here is a link to the article:
    40 Year Old Tank - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

9. SchyffS

SchyffS Reef Aquarist

Welcome

And YOH! that is a moerse tank - South African for HUGE tank :thumbup: Are you born and raised in the Phillipenes
    Best take crispins advise, he has safe steady hands ;)

Last edited: 13 Jul 2010
  10. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Welcome...

11. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA, glad you joined. For starters, there is some reading for you in my signature on starting a marine tank - great info ;)

12. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

masahello

13. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

A VERY WARM WELCOME to MASA, Gerald.A.D.Lucas-Farley! Great to have you on-board!

Please have a read through the URL in my signature, mentioning "Starting a marine aquarium"!

Also - please feel free to ask as many questions as possible!

14. Gerald.A.D.Lucas-Farley

Gerald.A.D.Lucas-Farley Thread Starter

Hi guys, No no relation to Randy. As a matter of interest I used to live in Cape Town back in 1947 to 1951, I lived at 47 Bowden road on the then lower main road in Observatory. I went to school there in Observatory. We used to go and play up on the Rhodes memorial on Devils Peak, is it all still there? Ek het nie mei taal gepraat vaan, neegenteen een en fyftag. I think my Afikaans need a little brushing up Huh? But seriously I have very fond memories of the Cape, and I will always cherish them. Back to my Tank. it is constructed of 1/2 plate glass and at present with the set up I have for the fresh water fish the whole outfit including stand and contents weighs in at about a Ton or there abouts. The stand is made from 2inch pipe for the legs with 1/4 inch wall thickness, and 1inch angle iron for the basic frame. What size of sump should I have for my tank, 8ft by 15inches by 30inches deep? The more I read about marine tanks the more daunting it sounds, but I thnk I will get all the info from you guys to giude me to a fruitful conclusion. I appreciate all and every thing yo can tell me Regards Gerald.

15. jacquesb

WOW! Awesome to hear, Gerald that you are an ex-SAFFA! And yes - the Rhodes Memorial is still there. You have not been back since then? This tank size of yours is ROUGHLY the same size as my display tank. But, I have another +-800 liters of water in a sump-system......

The stand sounds OK. Is there any way that you can supply us with pictures that we can see what you are talking about as well? It would be enable us to give better advice?

How often are you prepared to do water changes? And are you possibly thinking of using a huge amount of macro algae to remove unwanted nutrients from the water (ie. phosphates, nitrates)?

16. Gerald.A.D.Lucas-Farley

No I was born in the UK. I moved to the Philippines in 1995 and married a Filipina, We have been married for 14yrs now.

Last edited: 14 Jul 2010
  17. jacquesb

OK cool Gerald.

BTW: click on the "Quick Upload" URL link below the "Quick reply" window.

You will have to resize your photo, to be either: 225KB in (file) size, and/or 800x600 in pixels....

18. Johan Luus

Johan Luus

Welcome!

19. Gerald.A.D.Lucas-Farley

Thank you for the advice Sara, I need all the help I can get. Regards Gerald.

20. Anemone

Anemone

Gerald, welcome to MASA.

I think you will regret the UGF. You may want to start reseaching sumps, refugiums, clean up crews (CUC) and protein skimmers.

Last edited: 21 Jul 2010
  21. Anemone

Anemone

:lol: Crispin will you do something with your signature line? You have the new members thinking you are a girl. :razz:

Recent Posts