Beginner nano start up advice

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Renegado, 9 Jan 2012.

1. Renegado

Renegado

Hey guys :)

I'm dying to start a marine tank (if my mom has her way I will only start when I'm finished matric- aka in 2 years) but unfortunately I'm stubborn, and I'm gonna get all my plans in order anyway.

I've got a nano (or is it pico?) Jebo tank, about 18liters, with the filter in the lid. It's small yea, but I can't afford bigger stuff. I don't necessarily have to keep fish.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Big thanks and rep to @dallasg who gave it to me- one of the nicest things anybody ever done for me :thumbup: he also gave me a blue light, 4 filter pads for nitrite, ammonia, carbon and phosphate and some substrate.

I have a bunch of q's.. Do I need a sump? I have a little 15l 1ft tank that I could use like this guy did, My 30L Nano - Marine Aquariums of South Africa, or something similar. It's the only tank I got that's not 2nd hand and cracked. What about the layout for making this a sump??
    [​IMG]

Skimmer? If there no sump, there no were to put one.. If this tank stops us from going on holiday, I'm gonna be in the sh1t, so I want to keep this as simple, cheap and low maintenance as possible..
    Advice advice advice please!! Will add more q's as I think em up :p

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

hey!!
    glad to see you planning the tank...

the simpliest way is to use the filter pads etc and do regular water changes, 2L a week, then no skimmer is needed. some live rock and some mushrooms and zoas with possible 1 shrimp will provide hours of fun

4. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

ps. no sump is needed

butcherman likes this.
  5. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

like Dallas says stick to the K.I.S.S. rule, keep it simple stupid.

agreed

6. Toolboysa

Toolboysa Moderator

Hi

Im running the slightly bigger Jebo for a year now. And as @dallasg said water changes and live rock and some softies and a shrimp and your good to go.

I use a small clip on fan over the sponges for evaporative cooling in summer to keep temp down

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  7. Renegado

Renegado Thread Starter

haha ok :biggrin: one thing about me, I tend to over do things cause I'm a major perfectionist with the things I really care about.. Gonna have to work on that

Must I buy something to go with the light in the lid and the blue light, and if I must, how strong must it be?
    What test kits do I need and what brand can I get that is not expensive but accurate? They are so expensive... Oh ya and what kind of paint do you paint the back with? I took off the old paint 'cause it was starting to peel off and didn't look nice. Also I was bored and needed something to do.

Yea I was wondering about heat, 'cause even my coldwater tank's inhabitants have not been particularly impressed with this summer

8. Toolboysa

Toolboysa Moderator

Well if your gonna do softies and a shrimp the basic tests you can do at your local LFS. Jungle Aquatics does this for free.

When do water changes the salt will replace the minerals you require for your system.

The important think to remember is keep those sponges clean and replace regularly as they can become a nitrate factory

Does that jebo have a single light tube or 2. Mine has got two and I got mushrooms growing in there

9. devesh.r

devesh.r

Great you doing your research before you start.
    All the best on it. I would love to start a little nano myself one day.

10. BarryG

BarryG

Hi Renegado

I have the exact same tank. I use the standard pump for flow inside and have an external cannister filter for filtration with ceramic rings, bioballs ,good carbon in a stocking and lots of filterfloss. Running for 10weeks now and all well. Have few zoas, mushroom frags in there with some snails and cycle is finishing nicely now. Also I bought a basic LED from sponsor for R500. Tank runs hot though and fan is crucial

11. Renegado

Renegado Thread Starter

It's either bug my mom to drive to fish shops or bug her to help me afford test kits... I think the latter would make her less annoyed :whistling:

It's only got one light in the lid.. What must I supplement or replace this with?
    [​IMG]

Thanks for the help so far everyone :)

Recent Posts