Beginner looking for advice

PVN

Reaction score
Hi guys i am new in the reef world and would like some advice on what you think is nececary to have a starting setup. I bought a tank from a friend.

Welcome to MASA PVN!!

Maybe you start a thread under new members and tell us about your setup, what equipment you have, etc... And most importantly post many pics!!

Hi PVN - a very WARM WELCOME to MASA! Very glad that you found us, and joined MASA!

A VERY basic marine tank setup, would consist of the following (when you read "basic" you will read FISH ONLY as well - and perhaps some VERY hardy corals):
- T8 fluorescent globes (as many as you can fit over the tank's top)
- sump or alternatively, hang-on SKIMMER, ie the ReefOctopus HN-100 (I think)
- skimmer
- DSB (Deep Sand Bed - sand bed where the sand particles sizes are between 0.05mm and 1mm in size, and the sand bed is at least 120mm to 150mm deep)
- live rock - at least 20 to 30% of the tank volume consisting of live rock/bio-rock combination
- TEST-KITS (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH, salinity/SG)
- PATIENCE PATIENCE PATIENCE - ONLY BAD things happen quickly in marines
- READING READING READING - you need to KNOW what the nitrogen cycle is, and how ammonia gets broken down to nitrates
- KNOW that it will take AT LEAST 6 to 8 weeks (minimum) before you can start adding life stock in to the tank (where the tank is "running" on salt water and live rock only)

Good luck mate!

Enjoy journey into marines! It becomes a LIFE-STYLE very quickly!

Hi PVN, a damn good read up through the new member section should help, good luck.

Welcome to MASA PVN, Jacques covered most of it, all I can say again is read read and read more - ask a lot of questions. This is the only way to learn. Most of all, don't take short cuts, be patient and enjoy this wonderful hobby ;)

The best advice I can give you is organise to go and see a members tank and get a better idea of what this hobby is all about.

In a couple of hours you will learn, more than months and months of reading etc.

Back
Top Bottom