Beginner - Liverock Aiptasia question

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Potions, 4 Jul 2011.

1. Potions

Potions

Hi guys

I'm new to the adventurous (best word I could find apart from scary) world of keeping marine aquariums. I've done a lot of research, bought a book called The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner and done lots of internet research (including MASA ;)) on keeping a marine aquarium. I just got an opportunity to start a tank for myself through a friend wanting to sell his setup. Its a boyu TL-550. I would have preferred a 40 or 50 gallon rectangular tank more as heard more water the easier it is to keep. But for the price of the setup I have to go for this.

Basically my question is to do with the liverock I will be getting from my friend. My initial idea was to store it in a 20 ltr bucket premixed salt water with a small heater and airstone, but I've been reading up on Aiptasia and my friend says he has a some Aiptasia on his liverock. I've read these things are a nuisance to get rid of, so I was wondering if it would be best to potentially let the liverock dry out and then 'recure' the liverock in my new tank and seed it with a new small piece of liverock from the aquarist store (sams), thereby getting rid of the Aiptasia without fear of a reprisal :unhappy:?

So my basic questions are:
    1. Should I dry out the liverock to get rid of the aiptasia and then recure it in my new tank?
    2. Will this work? And if so how long do I need to dry the rock out for?
    3. Is there anything else I would need to do to the liverock (like boil it or something?)
    4. Is there a better way?

Thanks a lot
    Much appreciated on the answers.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

welcome to masa and its not as scary as it sounds. it may be a bit daunting in the beginning but its such a fun ride. I wouldnt dry out the lr unless its absolutely covered in aiptasia. Ill buy some aiptasia x and kill it while its in the tank. thats unless there is alot on the rock. you will lose so many benificial bacteria and other living creatures by drying the rock and to re seed the rock will take some time and its just gonna make the cycle stage so much longer. You havent said anything about there coming corals and fish with the setup. what will you be getting with the setup? Let us know how bad the aiptasia problem is?

4. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

:welcometomasa2: to MASA...

5. rakabos

rakabos

Aiptasia is a nightmare to get rid of once its in your tank believe me. I would dry the rocks out and get some new live rock which is aiptasia free and use that to seed it

6. Potions

Potions Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. I'm basically starting from scratch, so not getting any of the fish or corals/invertebrates with the tank. I'm also planning on premixing my own RO saltwater to pour into the tank. So basically the only living thing that'll be going into the tank will be with the liverock.

The Aiptasia isn't a total infestation, my friend just says some Aiptasia is on the rocks. Ok cool, so with the Aiptasia X would you suggest I kill them seperately? Or apply the solution all over the rocks? My main concern is I would like to try to keep them from coming back later.

Other details that may be useful:
    I'm getting aragonite substrate (thin sand bed). Going to be cycling the tank properly and then starting with a cleaner crew (hermits, astreas, ceriths), then onto some easy to keep soft corals, and eventually start stocking fish.

7. Potions

Potions Thread Starter

Uh oh, hmm I'm not sure what to do now, how much longer would it delay the cycling process if I dried the rock out?

I'm obviously not so keen on drying out the rocks, but would really like to avoid aiptasia if possible...?

8. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

if the rock aint covered in aiptasia ill put it in. Spot the aiptasia and squirt some aiptasia x on it. you can even try lemon juice but I just use aiptasia x or a similar product. You will get aiptasia from time to time. Especially if you gonna add rock with coral on or add more lr. Its not a train smash. Just dont leave it till tomorrow if you spot a new one. Also,what i do is ill take the syringe thee give with aiptasia x and take it to the things mouth,then let it fold over the tip of the needle and then squirt it. If you can get it to suck onto the needle,just squirt it.dont try to kill the aiptasia by squashing it with something coz you will just let it release spores all over tank. I had a rock with 8 aiptasia on with the advice ive given you Im aiptasia free. Touch wood. When you getting the tank?

Last edited: 4 Jul 2011
  9. Potions

Potions Thread Starter

I'm getting the tank later this week hopefully :) Ye I'll investigate to see how badly the rock is infested. I've been reading getting a few juvenile peppermint shrimp normally deals with them, so maybe after I'll cycle I can do that?

10. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA. Some more reading for you below in my signature on starting a marine tank - great info and will answer a lot of your questions on cycling a tank, lights, etc

11. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

you can do that. they will keep it in check.but you gonna have alot of time to zap em while you cycle.

12. Tremayn

Tremayn

If the aiptasia are not in a hole but on the surface of the rock, then I would just remove the rock and squirt boiling water on the aiptasia quickly. Dont squirt slowly as this will give the aiptasia time to release spores. The aiptasia will die from the boiling water then just manually remove them and then just rinse the rock in RO water then return to the tank

13. DarrenT

DarrenT

welcome man! I believe the best way to cycle a tank is with uncured LR. You want to put deads things in your tank when it cycles to that it can cycle properly and be able to grow bacteria. It will be the best way to kill of the aptasia and pretty much start a fresh, unless you nuke them with aptasia x or joes juice.

14. Potions

Potions Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice so far guys, and this site rawks ^_^ works very efficiently too. Ok so I'm leaning towards this idea cause I really don't want an Aptasia infestation just as I'm starting out, but still open to persuation, so please give any advice ;)

I just wanted to ask a few more questions:
    1. How long would I need to dry the rock out for and how would i go about doing it?
    2. How much longer would it make the cycle process?
    3. How long approximately would it take for the rock to be seeded and become 'live rock again' if I seed the tank with a new piece of live rock?

15. Tyler

Tyler

If the rock is heavily infested I wouldn't buy it.
    I wouldn't boil it, for me that's defeating the purpose of buying live rock in the first place.
    Look at how bad the infestation is, if it's not all that bad stick the live rock in a bucket with your salt water and an air stone, then inject them with aptasia x or lemon juice. Keep the rock in the bucket for a week or so if you can, these buggers have a habit of growing back from whatever tiny piece of them is left behind so you might have to do it more than once. That's just what I'd do, but you don't want them in your tank, they're a huge nuisance and they just love multiplying in a new system
    BTW I've tried the Peppermint Shrimp route before. They didn't even touch the Aptasia!, so that doesn't always work as planned

16. Hermanus

Hermanus

If there is 4 or 5 just brake the pieces of rock of on witch the buggers is or look to see if it is on one or two pieces of rock put the rest in and dry the rock with the aiptasias on for a week or so.

17. Tremayn

Tremayn

some good advice here.. Also remember that when you mess with aiptasia in the tank they release spores and multiply

18. Potions

Potions Thread Starter

Ye thanks for all the advice, seperating just the pieces of rock with the Aiptasia on it sounds like a good plan, I just hope there aren't some mini Aiptasia on the rocks that seem free, sounds like a better idea than having to dry out all the live rock though, maybe i'll combine that with using Aiptasia X on the other live rock.

19. Potions

Potions Thread Starter

Hey

this is the op, just changed my account and added an avatar and such. Thanks again for all the advice. I'll be adding some info on the tank I'm setting up in the next few days in the new members forum and in my profile. :biggrin:

My names Daniel.

20. rakabos

rakabos

Daniel, I would look at the rocks in water, so you can see the buggers clearly, remove those and dry them, leave the others alone for now but as soon as you seen aiptasias on them take them out and dry them too. After a few weeks you will know if u got them all

21. roderigo

roderigo

Hi guys sorry to about jacking your thread I bought so Kenya LR about 10 kg from a fellow reefer I see there about 4 to 5 small dark green neenis on them and just 1 aiptasai out of the hole 10 kg of LR its in a quarantine tank for now so how can I get ride of the nenies ???

Last edited: 5 Jul 2011
Recent Posts