Beginner/DIY tank builder warning!

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by gavster, 26 Aug 2011.

1. gavster

gavster

Being a newb myself I thought this is important enough to possibly even make a sticky. (Excuse my presumptuousness mods)

Right for anyone out there wanting to build or design their own tank - everyone worries about the "big" stuff like tank dimensions, frames, cabinets, lighting and especially overflow boxes. To wheather or not to use DSB and pellets or bioball etc, etc...

If you're like me in the slightest and plan things to the tee and take your time doing so as well as educating yourself before taking the plunge, then this is very important info. If you're thinking you'd rather have a well stocked tank and don't mind spending the extra money on a larger skimmer, then.......

DON'T DO ANYTHING until you've worked out more or less how many litres your tank will be and actually measured the base size (footprint) of your future skimmer! Better yet buy it first and send it to your tank builder to build the sump around.

I had a HUGE error in my favour. My new tank is 5ft and 800 litres and I ordered the Reef Octo Bubble Blaster 300 rated for 1500l. They didn't have stock so they gave me the "Space Saver" model which is worth R6000 for the same price of the other model worth R4000.

Anyway my tank arrived today and bottom line is that if I didn't get the space saver (which has the pump fitted internally and not externally) I would NEVER ever have fitted it into my sump and this would have been a very costly mistake!

So don't take it for granted like I did and think "my tank is big so surely it'll fit!" Overrated skimmers take up more space than you realise. Roughly 30 x 40cm's base with external pump and outlet pipe.

I'm sure a few of the more experienced guys will agree this will avert some tears.

Last edited: 26 Aug 2011
    Meneer and Reef Maniac like this.
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

planning is everything in this game, i actually bought up all my equipment first for my current build and build everything around it.. i was so confused untill i could physically put the items on a drawn out template and accomodate for intricate measurements to be perfected..

happy you scored, and it worked out :)

4. gavster

gavster Thread Starter

Thanks Les. Yes it worked out great but when I slid the tight fitting skimmer in and realised how close I was to making a prodigious mistake my heart sank! Btw your tank was where I got some of my ideas, so thanks... I just hope this helps someone else. :thumbup:

Last edited: 26 Aug 2011
  5. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

yep its always nerve wracking.. glad i could offer some perspective..;)

6. Dlaria

Dlaria

I wish I had a bigger house, so I could have a big tank. Guess next time, I should have a tank built and build the house around it. :D

7. gavster

gavster Thread Starter

Well I was going to put mine in my study but now that its here I'm not sure it will fit through the door so it may just stay in the dining room where it is now. Also can't do a thing until I can get a mate here to help me move it around so it has its own set of problem believe me )

Last edited: 27 Aug 2011
Recent Posts