Been very naughty - I got some new life in my 2nd tank - the 1.2 metre :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Here you are folks..... our new kids...... A LOT OF WORK AHEAD of US:

I know..... I know.... leave the preaching for another day ;-)

Basically - the tank is my old Jewel 300 (300 litre) without sump.
I have a DSB in tank, with quite a bit of live rock in the tank..... I have placed my old WeiPro SA-2013 skimmer with a 3000 litre/hour pump on it, IN TANK (no sump at all)...

So, I have a FOWLR tank......

With these:
:biggrin:
14548e27f828e713.jpg

Hippocampus Comes - a.k.a Tiger Tail Sea horses....
And a striped pipe-fish, for company.....

14548e27fd45bbcd.jpg

14548e2800bc566c.jpg

14548e2807fc704c.jpg

Congrats, welcome to the world on work.....

Looks like you got too females there bud? could you provide a close up of pic 3 to confirm?

OK - I have thousands of pods in the tank, busy breeding artemia naupli, and have gotten hold of some (hopefully) broodstock live artemia....
I have also spent about 16 houts reading up on our new kids....
I have already started trying to "train" them to eat frozen mysid.....
No luck yet, after 3 days, but I will continue until I succeed.....

OK - shoot with your questions/comments/advice.....

Nice!!

Those are some pretty mean looking aiptasia's you got there! :lol:

Hi - thanks guys....

lIghty - I was not sure - I studied their anatomies..... the one, which clearly have an indentation at the "belly" and is more dull colored, definitely seems to be a female.
The other one, is far more "brightly" colored (more yellow and darker grey/brown/black coloration) and does not have a clear indentation. But, I am not sure either whether I can see the pouch either.....
The abdominal fins on the 2 ponies differ very much as well....

I will try and see if I have a more close-up picture of the "darker" one of the 2....

BTW: I have started with arranging the live food....

lIghty - I have also today bought 2 pairs of guppies, and acclimatized them to semi-salt water.... hopefully they will breed, and the babies be slightly used to salty water, enabling them to survive until such time that they can become pony food in the pony tank...

AND hopefully I can breed the live mysid as well... I have been reading up on breeding mysid as well....

I already have my 1st batch of artemia nauplii busy hatching....

:)

I know Matt - this was my "aptaisia farm" before it became a pony tank..... At the very least, they are awesome filters for the tank water....

Mekaeel - no - you do not get "prepared food" for them.... the live food I have mentioned are what they are supposed to be fed.....

Also - I have an IN-TANK SKIMMER running.......... No hang-on skimmer.....

lIghty - I just had a look again at the pics. The 1st pic of the 2nd batch shows (although the pic is a little bit blurred) the belly of the "darker" one which I think MIGHT be a male.....

What species do you keep? The same? Also H. Comes? If so, could you please perhaps post a pic of one of your males and females?

Thanks Burt..... I appreciate it.

Mekaeel - StarFire glass is REALLY awesome.... This Jewel Rio 300 I got when we lived in The Netherlands.... I too has starfire glass.... with black silicone! The glass is much clearer than my other tank's glass....

OK - I have thousands of pods in the tank, busy breeding artemia naupli, and have gotten hold of some (hopefully) broodstock live artemia....IMHO, apsolutely waste of time unless enriched with fatty acids, even then, not the greatest.
I have also spent about 16 houts reading up on our new kids....
I have already started trying to "train" them to eat frozen mysid.....
No luck yet, after 3 days, but I will continue until I succeed..... Just keep on trying, mine are actually taking from the "eye dropper" and 1 is even eating out of a "bowl", can't believe it!

OK - shoot with your questions/comments/advice.....

Hi - thanks guys....

lIghty - I was not sure - I studied their anatomies..... the one, which clearly have an indentation at the "belly" and is more dull colored, definitely seems to be a female.
The other one, is far more "brightly" colored (more yellow and darker grey/brown/black coloration) and does not have a clear indentation. But, I am not sure either whether I can see the pouch either..... They are nick named the comelion of the sea, colours won't work, sorry.
The abdominal fins on the 2 ponies differ very much as well....

I will try and see if I have a more close-up picture of the "darker" one of the 2....

BTW: I have started with arranging the live food....Mysis? the BEST

lIghty - I have also today bought 2 pairs of guppies, and acclimatized them to semi-salt water.... hopefully they will breed, and the babies be slightly used to salty water, enabling them to survive until such time that they can become pony food in the pony tank... never tried this, but have heard of it, just have to make sure all uneaten food is removed! Common river / FW river shrimp work ok, but once again they need to be enriched

AND hopefully I can breed the live mysid as well... I have been reading up on breeding mysid as well....Not trying to knock you down, but for now, rather put all resources into getting the adults the best food.

I already have my 1st batch of artemia nauplii busy hatching....

lIghty - I just had a look again at the pics. The 1st pic of the 2nd batch shows (although the pic is a little bit blurred) the belly of the "darker" one which I think MIGHT be a male.....No, looks like its a female to me?

What species do you keep? The same? Also H. Comes? If so, could you please perhaps post a pic of one of your males and females?

Comes, but 1 pair could be kuda but leaning more to the come. I'll try find a pic.

Very interesting project on your hands here Jacques. good luck, they are awesome creatures :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom