Beautiful Coral ID

Discussion in 'ID Needed' started by Mariner, 9 Sep 2012.

1. Mariner

Mariner

Hi Guys

I saw this coral in LFS (black one)
    Whats it called?
    Lighting, food and flow requirements?

Thanks

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Helga

Helga

Its not a very clear picture, but it looks like the Black Suncorals (Tubastraea Micrantha).

Waterflow - medium to high
    Lighting - low
    Feeding - Unable to rely on the benefits of photosynthesis, these corals MUST be fed in captivity. Feed with feeding tube 2 to 3 times a week, Brine and mysid shrimp

Last edited: 9 Sep 2012
  4. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Agree with Helga.
    It's not photosynthetic so requires regular feelings. Will prefer low light and moderate flow

5. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

6. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

you will need to target feed it regularly

7. madmaxmod

madmaxmod

Wow looks nice in black:1:

8. Ayoob

Ayoob

Sun corals needs lots of attention.

Last edited: 9 Sep 2012
    Salie likes this.
  9. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

It will die in ur tank

10. Salie

Salie

Hard to keep alive

11. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

I've had a yellow sun coral n my tank for two years now, but I feed it twice a day with a turkey baster, so, if you are prepared to work, it will be fine. That being said, it's not a very exciting coral, polyps only fully extend after lights out, and when you feed it in the morning, you better be quick! :)

12. Reactionut

Reactionut

I have had a sun coral for 8 months, that goes without target feeding for up to a month when Im away overseas, and it's in great condition

13. NJH

NJH

Make sure when you feed, which must be on a regular basis, that you feed each individual polyp.

14. archiecrain

archiecrain

Not the advise I would advocate......

Most of us simply keep sun corals barely alive with a feeding every few days.....if you want one of these corals to not only survive but thrive you need to feed it every day preferably more than once! Need to ensure that every head gets some food to keep it in best health

Remember that every time the polyps open and you dont feed it, it has waisted energy and is worse off....

I think moderate flow with the occasional blast of flow to blow detrius and sand off them is best.

15. Reactionut

Reactionut

certainly wasn't giving advice, just stating my circumstance for my particular sun coral, which is doing very well, and putting it out there, for those who may rush home daily to feed a sun coral, there is no need to panic. There isn't a turkey baster in the wild that feeds each individual polyp daily.

16. irie ivan

Its not a yellow sun coral......

Hope I won't have to say I told you so, and NO, I wont have any satisfaction in saying it.... and Yes, I sincerely hope you are one of the very very few who manage to keep it alive and perhaps have it thriving....

17. Gary Roebuck

Gary Roebuck

just relaying some info i picked up along the way... corals that feed at night do so because in the oceans that's when their chosen meal is more abundant. there is a school of thought that say coral's eating regime can be modified/adapted... so by feeding at regular intervals u're corals will eat at that time. (i dose regularly n run 2 skimmers)..

18. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Seriously, you think I am colour blind?:p Well I hope I wont have to say I told you so too. So far I have been successful, I know that many die from not being fed.
    Thanks for the heads up.:whistling:

19. irie ivan

Comment not aimed at you specifically @carlosdeandrade. Was pointing out that the species above, should not be compared to the yellow sun corals in terms of survival rates in home aquaria. If fed often enough, the yellow / orange sun coral will thrive, as long as water parameters and of course FLOW is satisfactory!

The told you so part is aimed at @Mariner, who did not research his purchase prior to putting it into his tank....

The black sun corals , i.e. if T Micrantha or It's Tubastraea diaphana is however a totally different kettle of fish...... Dismal survival rates.... reason unknown....

Its like comparing a Meyeri butterfly to a copperband butterfly....... The one has a good chance of survival.... the other.... welll........ google it!

There is some reported success with T.diaphana in dedicated NPS systems, but the record for Micrantha is nothing but a slow death due to reasons unknown....

It is difficult to identify the coral in the pic as either T.diaphana or Micrantha even though it looks likely to be the T. Diaphana, which leaves you with a very very faint glimmer of hope.
    However, one cannot be sure, as the Micrantha rapidly looses its flourescence in captivity and even though Micrantha is usually a branching species, one cannot be sure from the pic.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
    seank likes this.
  20. irie ivan

From Fossa & Nilsen'sbook "The Modern Coral Reef Aquarium, Volume 2"
    Yes, I understaand that 20 years ago the same would have been written in popular literature regarding for example a Acropora Millepora, but the reality is that up till now, now inroads have been made..........

21. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Never took it personally, never kept a black sun as I know my yellow takes more effort than my other sps's, so I have never researched them. Never knew a Meyerti butterfly was easier to keep. So, I learn while I am here! :1:

Last edited: 10 Sep 2012
Recent Posts