Bears :)

Discussion in 'Sports and Lifestyle' started by crispin, 3 Jun 2009.

1. crispin

crispin

As a traveling beekeeper/ organic consultant I have had a rather full and interesting life, never short of an adventure, and if it (life in general) does get a little ‘easy” I just move J so being a sheep farmer in Norway was a rather drastic decision and not all to do with adventure, indeed it sounded like the safer option between beekeeping in Sudan or sheep in Norway.

BUT

Three weeks ago a bloody fox raided the hens. 19 dead in a night, just with the head bitten off.
    Then we lost a 3 day old lamb to the same fox, but we let that go and put it down to something we will deal with later if he comes back the third time.

Over the past few weeks we have moved the sheep to the summer grazing areas in the forests. There is a beautiful cottage up there with its own private trout lake, wild berries growing in the forests, bears roaming free and mushrooms to pick. An evening fishing for brown trout on a dry fly followed by berry picking to have smoked brown trout and blue berries for pudding isn’t a fantasy.

BUT

A week ago we lost a really good mother. Couldn’t find her at all and we spend most of Sunday walking through the forests to try find the body. Last night my girlfriends dad is staying up at the cottage and heard a commotion. Walked out and came across a Brown bear rushing the sheep to panic the flock. He fetched a rifle and fired two warning shots, the bear moved off slightly but circled back again to have another go. Only stopped when the third shot landed in the ground at his feet, you cant actually shoot him unless he is feeding of the carcass or does attack.

So today I am off into the forests to track my first bear.

And you guys thought that pc programming was funJHe H

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. scubaninja

scubaninja

Holy cow dude!! ITs a bear!!! RUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!

4. ben lloyd

ben lloyd

now that is my job crispin go get him.:hammer::12::gun_bandana::beatdeadhorse5::2guns:

5. crispin

crispin Thread Starter

we are getting a pair of elk dogs with radio collars to help track him, but it would appear he's very hungry and staying near the flock (which are now mostly scattered throught the hills and forests) as they are easy pickings.

for now its all planning, and i think we would drive him off or tranquilise rather than kill, but will have to see options

6. ben lloyd

ben lloyd

be careful they will attack when cornered, you must use dogs thats trained it's how we hunt Bush pigs.

7. kalkwasser

kalkwasser

Cool can I come??????:gunsmilie:I am all geared and ready.

8. crispin

crispin Thread Starter

the dogs are well trained, but weather is closing in fast so looks like we will call it off for today. He'll be back.

kalkwasser you more than welcome, i'm shooting with a cannon, gonna get the fella :) click click click :)

9. ben lloyd

ben lloyd

:lol: YOUR A REAL GREENIE crispin.

10. crispin

crispin Thread Starter

dad was a PH, wrote the exams on wing shooting in SA. ive gotten over blood lust, so yeah happy to hug a tree now :)

11. ben lloyd

ben lloyd

my boet is the real hunter in our family he did his ph in 95 i like shooting not so much killing but bolting is leaker so i do shoot some buck from time to time.

12. crispin

crispin Thread Starter

i enjoy hunting to be honest, not really animals that much anymore though. But a guy like this bear isnt really hunting. this is just killing and that doest sit so well with me, but the options are limited, he has a home range thats going to be in conflict with humans all the time and he is a danger with the way he has little fear of humans.

we will see what the outcome is though.

13. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

WOW! Now this is a REALLY interesting story Crispin! It's like reading a wild west story!

Please keep us updated! ALSO: What about some pics? You not going to "shoot" using that awesome camera of yours!

14. kalkwasser

kalkwasser

The only shooting I do is a bit of spear fishing from time to time.

Recent Posts