Be Informed.

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by JS, 15 Jan 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JS

JS

I just had a little incedent on Ebay that angers me. This hobby is already expensive enough, so we really dont need sponsors ripping us off.

I bought an item on Ebay, no hassles - person even gave me a tracking number (which according to Ebay rules is fraudulant (package never sent), so so ammo in my case ;)) and told me the item is shipped and on its way.

A day ago, I receive an email from him stating that unfortunately he has an agreement with a certain person in South Africa (a sponsor) that he can only sell to him....this person then adds a hevty mark up to the relatively cheap item (claiming support in SA etc - still remians to be seen)

Just really ticks me off that we now cannot even buy from ebay, without some person trying to rip one off.

Oh well, guess thats how you learn. Will just do everything in my power to inform everyone I know about this sponsor and avoid supporting him/her.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

..:eek:..that's the 1st I heard of that...? How can they Advertise on Ebay ( for SA) if they have a "Sole Distributor" in SA...:confused1:

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

did they refund you?

5. JS

JS Thread Starter

Apparently they claim that their should have been a block on Ebay not to ship to SA. But that was not the case.

I have spoken to the SA supplier, and have agreed to pay the "additional charge" for the "support and backup".....

6. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

Have you afforded the sponsor the right to reply? Does said sponsor even know about your accusation?

7. JS

JS Thread Starter

I will pay the additional charge for the "backup and support" in SA.

8. JS

JS Thread Starter

Hi, please read up - I have spoken to sponsor already, and came to an agreement....

9. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Question and your response was posted at the same time....

Last edited: 15 Jan 2013
  11. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

lol i know exactly what product you are talking about. I have dealt with the local supplier and they are a dream to deal with.

I can rest easy knowing I have local support and backup for said product.

I recently had a piece of equipment from another sponsor fail and due to good backup and service, my problem is sorted out fast and efficently and didnt cost me anything more than a simple PM.

Looks at the fiasco we had with a certain white skimmer It seems like nobody wanted to support the product until the right people where talked to. :whistling:

Atleast now you know exactly who to talk to.

12. JS

JS Thread Starter

Yeah, I am not feeling better having dealt with the sponsor myself - and the SA support makes sense. Just think in future they should inform a person before money is paid etc.

Everything is resolved. :)

13. Andre@ReefAquatics

Andre@ReefAquatics Sponsor

I feel this post extremely unfair and totally untrue and really angers me when both me and supplier have been going out of our way to help you.

With our communications we have offered you various alternatives etc. like full reimbursement you have not responded, my supplier has sent me messages telling us they have tried to make contact with you without any luck.

We have responded to this immediately and tried to quickly remedy this situation quick as possible.

I quote:
    You emailed me saying you paid R1480.00 for the product on Ebay.

Now you forgetting we pay the import duties and handling and the service of full support with any spares in South Africa, and with a full 1 year warranty. Anything goes wrong with your products you have piece of mind that you product will either be repaired or replaced without having to send this back overseas at your expenses.

Our price of R1695.00 I highly doubt is a "hefty markup"

Also I don't see to see our communication below as unacceptable when we responded 10 mins later: I edited out the customers details with 'xxx'

From: Sales@Reef Aquatics [mailto:sales@reefaquatics.co.za]
    Sent: 14 January 2013 01:30 PM
    To: xxx, xxx
    Cc: rani@reefaquatics.co.za
    Subject: RE: Marine Magic Tripple Doser

Hi there,

Yes we do know about this.

We were contacted by our supplier to tell us about your purchase and for some reason the block to South Africa on ebay did not work.

Please send us your details and we will get one sent out to you.

Andre

From: jxxxax.scxxxlxz@xxxx.com [mailto:jxxs.ssfssz@xxx.com]
    Sent: 14 January 2013 01:20 PM
    To: sales@reefaquatics.co.za
    Subject: Marine Magic Tripple Doser

Good day

I recently purchased a triple doser on Ebay, from Marine-Magic-HK. I have now been informed by them, that you (dealer in SA) will send item directly to me? Do you know anything about this?

Regards

I think I deserve a public apology for these accusations.

Last edited: 15 Jan 2013
  14. Andre@ReefAquatics

Everybody we have dealt with knows we go the extra mile for our customers.

It angers me even more when you post this after my response to you @ 6.14am this morning.

From: Sales@Reef Aquatics [mailto:sales@reefaquatics.co.za]
    Sent: 14 January 2013 06:14 PM
    To: xxxx, xxx
    Subject: RE: Marine Magic Tripple Doser

This is no problem.

Please note that we will have to still charge you shipping for your unit at a cost of R200.00

If this is ok, please let us know and we can send you an invoice.

Alternatively our supplier can refund you and you can buy through us.

Best Regards,

Andre

15. JS

JS Thread Starter

Hi

R1488 was they total amoumt - including $30 shipping and handling. So the unit infact was on ebay for R1189.84 ($139 x 8.56 exchange rate)

I just feel upset that I now had to pay shipping twice.....

I paid your "additional shipping"

I publicly apologise for any inconveniences cause to you.

16. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

These sort of threads come up from time to time on the various South African forums and I think it comes from a point of ignorance about the true cost of importing, supporting and keeping a range of products in South Africa.

First of all there is the astronomical freight charges, remember we are at the bottom of Africa, in the middle of nowhere. The freight companies and shipping lines are partly to blame for this. To give you an example if I bulk airfreight (ten to 14 day turn around) products from the East I pay around us$7.8 a KG yet if my supplier couriers it to me (48 hour turn around) they only pay us$7.7 a kg. Just yesterday, I got a courier quote with one hell of a % discount at us$20 a kg if we arrange the freight form South Africa.

On the ocean freight side from the USA MSC, SAFMarine and Maersk are all cross-selling each other’s vessels at exactly the same cost, hence no competition. They can charge what they like and yes it is illegal, but who will take on companies of that size? Every time someone like GSK complains they simply get a discount which us small guys can’t muscle out of them!

Right so now you have your products here. Now you have to pay a % duty and 14% VAT on import as well as various agency fees and transport costs from the port of entry to your warehouse. Failure to correctly declare items on import (trying to screw SARS) will lead to a fine (perhaps prison), back paid duties (you are liable for 5 years from date of entry) and interest charged on the unpaid duties from date of import!

Now you get to your warehouse, which if you are in any shape or form a serious agent for your overseas supplier needs to be large enough to hold 2 or 3 40ft containers worth of stock and spares. A warehouse of any substantial size costs money to rent and to operate.

Now if you are a wholesaler bigger than a one man band operating from a garage somewhere you need support staff to run the show. Staff costs money and they bring their own sets of challenges.

Now once you have the stock in your warehouse, invoiced and packed to send to a client you need to get it there. We have tried but these city pigeons are useless at carrying tubs of OmegaOne and bottles of MicrobeLift to our clients across the country and as light as what the Maxspect units are we simply cannot get 4 pigeons to carry it all the way to Johannesburg! So off we go to find a domestic freight company to deliver the goods to the various shops. As I am sure every rational person knows diesel to run trucks isn’t free so we get charge a fee for the privilege of using them.

So now the goodies got to the shops and they have their own set of costs and need to also make a living.

End of the day my investment needs to provide me with a higher return than if I invested the money in unit trusts or a money market account – which in hindsight would have been FAAAAAAARRRRR less stressful than running a business.

We as wholesalers also face the constant issue of end-users trying to either, buy from us direct or from our suppliers. Just 5 minutes ago I received an email from one of my suppliers about a MASA member trying to buy our product direct.

I hope this explains on a very superficial basis to some of the members what we as wholesalers go thru to get the products on the shelves that you love.

17. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

On receiving one would have to pay VAT which would bring the total price of the import up to R1687.00 which is a whopping big R8.00 rip off. :eek:

18. JS

JS Thread Starter

@HenkHugo, thank you for that - I admit that I was ignorant of import costs.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  19. Andre@ReefAquatics

@JS, your product will be despatched today.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  20. WarrenElvis

WarrenElvis

Well done Andre professionally handled in my opinion. Wating till next month so i can get mine from you. How long is the special on till

21. pixel

pixel

Thx for the pricing background HenkHugo.

I dont think the problem here was that the buyer complained about pricing as such, thats how I read it anyway. I think the buyer was surprised and rightly so after the Ebay seller placed a limitation on a specific item which ive never seen happen in my life. I guess the Ebay seller needs to clearly indicate this in future to avoid confusion.

Just glad it all looks sorted at the end of the day.

Recent Posts

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.