Battery Exploded

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Reactionut, 12 Jan 2013.

1. Reactionut

Reactionut

Hi all, just wanted to put it out there that I had a minor explosion yesterday, one of my deep cycle batteries , used with a pure sine wave inverter gave an earth shattering bang.Luckily it was in a cabinet next to the tank and nobody was around at the time, as I fear the casing shrapnel could have seriously hurt someone, or the tank itself. I'll be taking this battery back to the supplier on monday as it's only a year old. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

..:eek:..:eek:..thank heavens no-one was around...glad all is safe and sound...1st time I heard of such a thing...WOW...

4. RocketRooster

RocketRooster

The cells give off hydrogen gas when charging, which obviously was ignited somehow. It won't explode all by itself. You need to find out where that spark came from.

5. Dave F

Dave F

Agree with @RocketRooster. The battery will not just explode it is the gas given off while charging. Whenever you charge a battery make sure the place it is put is well ventilated. I know of guys that have charged a car battery and lit a lighter by the battery to have a peak inside the dells and that has caused an explosion. Those of us the have a ups, if it is in a cupboard, try not to have the cupboard sealed or closed have vents so that the gas can escape, and make sure no sparks, from relays etc.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. the fish

the fish

Only reason why that coupd gave happened is because it wasnt earthed or earthed properly. Still a bad situation though.

7. Reactionut

Reactionut Thread Starter

Yes agreed as well, it is a closed cabinet in the front, but drilled dozens of ventilation holes along the back of the cabinet. However the unit will be outside from now on for obvious reasons,I'm glad nothing serious happened and is something we should all be aware off, thanks for the comments.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
Recent Posts