Basics of additives for Corals please?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by ziyaadb, 8 Aug 2008.

1. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

After a Long discussion around Kalk and me figuring that i now know whats needed in order to keep some corals i come across talk about MG(magnesium ) And then i am :confused:
    So I now need more info
    Could someone please list for me all the additives that are needed in order to keep a successfull reef tank and can we make it a sticky as i have not come across a thread like this(if there is please point me there)?

Can someone please explain all the below abbreviations, state what they do, what can be used for them (like a kalkstirrer or a Calcium reactor in the case of calcium, one can use calcium hydroxide from a pharmacy, Bicarb of soda etc, etc) to increase or decrease their values what needs to be done and what one needs to look out for when using them?
    So far i have:

CA
    ALK
    MG

is there anything else please add.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Falcon

Falcon

actually ziyaad nobody knows corals exact needs but what most people do is get the basics right first like calcium,alkalinity,ph,nitrates etc then later on worry about stuff like magnesuim and mobilinuim and the other trace elements...
    i seen many well kept systems avoid worrying about trace simply by routine water changes.

4. Warr7207

Warr7207

I wouldn't worry about Mg, I have been testing for ages and have never had low levels, weekly water changes seem to keep the levels where they should be.

Concrerate more on pH and Alk, these are way more important ;)

5. ziyaadb

ziyaadb Thread Starter

Thanks gents

6. shan

shan

mg additive: this is pharmacy grade 'epsom salt'.
    iodine: again pharmacy grade - was told it is for clams and shrimps

My personal view: if you do not test for it, do not add it. As mentioned above, your water change will add these things

7. IMarine

IMarine

Hi Bra agree with warr

8. iamwrasseman

iamwrasseman

IMO 90 % of all reef tanks need simple water changes . major bulked up sps tanks can consume vast amounts of CA ,MAG and ALK along with strontium . so unless your tank is just filled with huge colonies of sps you probably will be fine with water changes .
    ie. a few years ago i got on a dosing binge and had to have everything available that could be dosed , big ,big ,mistake that was and my tank never looked worse as everything shriveled up lost color and some corals died . now i only add alk to keep it in check as i have a large bio load and it tends to drive my alk down but 25ml per day keeps it pretty much in check .
    i also can say that i have a friend that has dosers,pumps,probes,refuge,and every additive imaginable and his tank is simply stunning ,yes its mostly sps and they look great . i have some of the same exact frags of a few of his lps corals and there is little to no difference in the last six months that i can see .

Recent Posts