Basic care for a newbie

Discussion in 'General Coral Care' started by Jordan Botha, 27 Apr 2015.

1. Jordan Botha

Jordan Botha

Hey guys!
    So I don't know if some of you have seen my other thread on a beginner setup, but it involves keeping corals ( which I don't know how to do so here it goes).
    I'm planning on keeping an anemone for my clowns and some others. I would like to get corals that brighten up the tank and will be interesting to watch, any suggestions?
    Any fraggers in Randburg that will sell me some frags at a good price? (Note, I will only be buying corals in a few months once my tank is fully cycled and ready to go).
    Kind regards,
    Jordan.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jordan Botha

Jordan Botha Thread Starter

And if someone could please tell me the positioning of their suggested corals and how to best keep them, water parametres, food etc I would be eternally grateful!

4. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Hi :)
    Please wait for your tank to be at least 6 months to a year old before getting an anemone, and when you do, ensure your pumps are anemone proof.

Interesting to watch corals are generally lps or soft corals that move with the water flow, things like torch corals, hammer, frogspawn, pulsing xenia, pin cushion. Those types will provide plenty of movement within the tank.

As a general rule of thumb, soft corals near the bottom of the tank and lps and sps in the middle and upper sections of the tank.

Good water quality, stable parameters and strong lighting.

Ideal Water Parameters - Marine Aquariums South Africa

That should keep you busy for a bit. :)

5. Jordan Botha

Anemone proof pumps?
    Thanks for that list! Ill go check each one out and tell you the ones I choose!
    Since I am a newbie, what are lps and sps and gps corals?
    I know to wait before adding the anemone... My plan is:
    Week 1= set up live rock and sand, cure live rock and cycle the tank (this will have all pumps and filters running with lights OFF)
    Week 4= add my snails and crabs, they will eat the algae. (The tank will grow algae quickly because I will start to turn on the lights in 12 hour periods)
    Week 6= add my first hardiest corals.
    Week 8= add the more delicate corals
    Week 10= add my invertebrates (cleaner shrimp and Hawaii feather dusters) along with the hardiest fish (clowns, gobys etc)
    Week 12= add my more delicate fish
    And then once my tank has reached the 6 month mark I will add my anemone and my Synchiropus splendidus (mandarin fish)

Sound good? I don't want to rush things and make my fish and corals sick and possibly die.
    So I think that I need a quarantine tank, I was thinking my 35/40 gallon tank?
    Kind regards,
    Jordan.

Last edited: 28 Apr 2015
    Jenaid likes this.
  6. Jordan Botha

Gsp corals I think, sorry! Newbie here!
    And I just read that water parameter thread you reccomend, it was so damn helpful! All the info in one place and the correct info! Thank you!!:thumbup:

7. Dre

Dre

I am also quite new to the marine aquariums and I am going to be setting up my second tank in a month. It seems like you have done a lot of research but you still don't understand the basics. No offence as I was also there when I setup my first tank and it turned out to be a rough time. I found some videos on YouTube that helped me understand how things work and why you should do things in stages and also explains everything about marine aquariums in detail which gave me a better idea of what to do. Watch the BRS TV videos on YouTube.

oliver and TaahirS like this.
  8. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

If I were you I'd stick to easy to keep coral and then maybe after a year anemones and stuff like that. Easy corals are Zoas, leathers, xenia, mushrooms etc.

Do you know the basic water parameters? Do you know what happens during the cycling process.

9. Jordan Botha

Yes yes yes I know all that, I know the cycling process.
    I don't understand when you say "I don't know my basics"? This tank is only going to be set up in a month or two so I have time to learn and grasp the concept fully.
    All I really wanted to know from this thread is the corals, I know nothing about those. I wanted to find out what corals are good for beginners like mysealf, their water and feeding requirements etc before I jump into anything that I don't have to know how to fix and deal with.

10. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Just because corals are easy to keep, doesn't mean you want to keep them. Seeing as you have time, you can research what you want and design your tank around them.
    Xenia are easy to keep...but they tend to become pests and take over, which means they can be a problem if you decide to keep other corals later on. Same goes for mushrooms.
    Keeping certain types of corals require vastly differing setups, so if you want an sps dominated tank then start with that. Don't begin with one and attempt to change corals as you progress.
    There are thousands of different corals and what you want to keep will be personal choice. Maybe look through members threads and see what grabs your attention. Thenost those pics of the ones you'd like and we'll refine your list for you.

MistaOrange likes this.
  11. Jordan Botha

Okay so I have found some pics of what I would like my tank to look like, hope you like the pics! This is what I was going for! There is a pic of the full coral reef and then 2 close ups of really cool coral I would like to keep, could you please ID them and state if or if not they are good corals for me to keep based on experience (none!)

Sorry if the images do not upload, I'm still trying to figure out how to upload properly.

image.jpg

12. Jordan Botha

Double post, was trying to attach images?

13. Jordan Botha

This is the first coral close up.

image.jpg

14. Jordan Botha

Hahahaha sorry about the screenshots, I recently got a new phone and I don't know how to save pics.

image.jpg

15. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

You and me both :p

First coral is a hammer coral, second one is a pin cushion, both will be fine for you once your tank has cycled.
    LPS are Long Polyped Stony corals, corals with a hard skeleton and soft polyps. The first pic you posted of the hammer coral is an LPS coral. LPS Corals: LPS Stony Corals and other Hard Corals for the Aquarium

SPS are Short Polyped Stony corals, often referred to as 'sticks' SPS Corals: Hard Coral and Stony Corals for the Aquarium

The second pic you posted of the pin cushion is a soft coral as it has no hard skeleton.

GSP is not a group of corals but an abbreviation for one single coral, Green Star Polpys, a soft coral with fluorescent green tips/polyps.

Last edited: 29 Apr 2015
  16. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

That second pic, of the pincushion, that is one with rather long tentacles. They are not that common.

17. Dre

Dre

18. Jordan Botha

Okay so I have made up my mind, I would like LPS corals with some GSP and 2 softies.
    What coral species can you suggest?

19. Dexter

Dexter

Look at hammers, frogspawn and torch corals. Those are the most common ones.

20. Jordan Botha

okay so here is the start of my coral list:
    Hammer corals.
    Torch corals.
    Thick branched frogspawn coral.
    An aneomone.
    A pinwheel plate coral.
    GSP coral.

Fully stocked yet?

Last edited: 29 Apr 2015
  21. TaahirS