Base rock

Discussion in 'Biological/Natural Filtration and Deep Sand Beds' started by shane, 6 Jan 2009.

1. shane

shane

Hi all,
    I have a few questions about trying to cure base rock. Firstly for those that live in the Durban area, there was a LFS at a certain nursery that was selling this base rock. The rock looked like burnt clinker rock that is black and white in colour, I am sure most of you know what rock I am talking about. Any way back to my questions,is it possible to put this type of rock into a container and cure it to the point that it could be used as live rock or becomes live rock? Secondly my FOWLR tank that I have has quite a bit of this rock in it and it is covered with short hair algea. If it is possible to cure is type of rock please explain the method and what should I do about the rock in the tank as well.
    Cheers
    Shane.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Hi Shane, if you're talking about Koi@Jungle then I think I know the rock you are referring to, I bought some a while ago and it didn't seem too bad.

You could definitely cure it along with the other rock in your tank, I would use a method similar to cooking live rock in in a separate tank or bucket in order to remove the algae problem on the live rock.

4. Falcon

Falcon

OR....just collect some limestone it works in my tank and blends in well after things grow on it,no need to pay for it as its readily available on big building constructions sites where they've dug deeper into the ground .

however that rock you want(and limestone) is heavy so make sure your tank can handle the extra weight as these rocks are much more dense than live rock which is very porous.

5. shane

shane Thread Starter

Thanks guys,
    Firstly how do you go about "cooking" live rock and second I have a lot of this base rock that has not been in the water yet so how would I go about curing it or getting some benifical life on this rock.Is it preferable to cure it outside the display tank or to put it in the display tank. I am worried that if I put it in the tank that hair algea will grow on it as it is bare base rock.
    Cheers

6. shane

shane Thread Starter

Yes Viper,
    The rock was bought from koi@jungle, for those that know what rock I am talking about.I was not sure that I was allowed to mention the suppliers name.
    Cheers

7. viper357

Heave a read of this thread Cooking Live Rock - Biological/Natural Filtration

Seeing as you have a FOWLR tank I would switch the lights off for 3 or 4 days, that should help to remove some of the hair algae, but you also need to figure out why the hair algae is growing. Have you measured your nitrates and phosphates?

I would put the new base rock in a bucket of old tank water (water taken from a water change) with a pump to circulate the water and just leave it there for about a month, doing partial weekly water changes on the bucket/drum, once you add it to the tank it will eventually become live on it's own.

8. shane

shane Thread Starter

Thanks Viper,
    Just one question, did you remove all your rocks in one go or do little bits at a time.Would it be advisable to add the bare base rock in wth the rocks to be cooked?
    Cheers

9. viper357

Well....I had a HUGE hair algae problem, which we won't go into :p, but yes, I removed all of my rock and cooked it for a few months in my garage.

You can put the base rock in with the other rock, bacteria and other life forms will transfer over to the base rock over time.

There's pictures of how I cooked my live rock in this rather embarrassing thread...
    Viper's Algae Farm - Members Systems and Setups

10. Falcon

Falcon

oh yes and add caulerpra to your sump and a bi-color blenny to the dt

this got rid of my algae farm within two or three months,no hair algae in tank with bi color blennie in there

11. shane

shane Thread Starter

Thanks guys,
    I have been looking for some caulerpa or cheato for my dsb,it is a real battle.
    Cheers

12. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Rather get chaetomorpha, I'm sure someone in Durbs might still have - ask Mekaeel if he has a bit for you.
    Hope Andreas didn't take everything :whistling:

13. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

50% of the rock in my system is that same rock, no problems with it.

14. shane

shane Thread Starter

HI Alan,
    did you just add the rock or cure it first?
    Cheers

15. Andreas

Andreas

:nono:I only got a handful from Mek.My sump looks like the amazon:)Wish my bank balance would grow as fast as my chaeto does:whistling:

:biglaugh: :whistling:

Recent Posts