Base Rock/ Live Rock

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by mickey69, 16 Jun 2009.

1. mickey69

mickey69

I see that there are various forms of live rock from all over the world...

Now I was wondering, if you start off with higher quality base rock.. say 12kgs and 10kgs of base rock, does the quality of the live rock set the standard for what will seed in the base rock? or is quality determined by the actualy physical quality of where the base rock originates from?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tony

Tony

Yes the live rock will eventually seed the base rock with various algae, mocro fauna and flora and of course coralline alga

4. mickey69

mickey69 Thread Starter

No I understand that ..what I mean is....

Lets say you start with

R150 /kg live rock

vs

R80 /kg live rock

Will the quality of what seeds on the base rock be determined by your starting quality of base rock??

5. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Mickey - yes, in a way.

BUT - I would MUCH rather say - you NEED a huge diversity in live rock. Then, the base rock would be seeded the best.

So - usually, your more expensive live rock, SHOULD be from i.e. Tonga, Malaysia, Fiji...
    The "cheaper" live rock usually hails from Kenya....

So - if you can get some pieces from different locations, then your chances of having the base rock seed in the best way, is increased a HUGE AMOUNT.

6. mickey69

mickey69 Thread Starter

great..thats what I was wondering :)

7. Prodigy

Prodigy

As Jac said the more diversity you have in your tank the better
    for your base rock and your inhabatits for that matter;)

8. zee

zee

True jacquesb!:thumbup:

9. Tim S

Tim S

Hi chaps,

I don't want to hijack this thread but was about to ask similar questions on the subject and found this thread. I am aiming to fill my tank next weekend and beleive I'm on the right track. I have placed about 45 kg's of base rock in the DT. DT volume 600 litres. I have 'washed' the base rock and given it light brushing to remove all the dry dead stuff. There is a distingtc greeny tinge to the upper surface of the rocks. Is there anything untoward about this? All the displays I have seen, seem to be a stacking of smallish pieces of live rock making the arrangement of the rock very dence. I have tried to select as bigger pieces as posiible for the base. My question - is there a diffirence in 'filtration capacity' between a single large piece as opposed to many small pieces of same total weight?

10. Warr7207

Warr7207

Base Rock doesn't filter, so any size will do.

Live Rock contains bacteria which consumes certain organic dissolved compounds.

11. Matt

Matt MASA Contributor

Warr: surely porous base rock will become seeded with bacteria and this add to bio friltration?

12. Tim S

Tim S

Once one places live rock in the DT, how long would this seeding process of the base rock genarally take, and what could one do to get the best results?

13. justinM

justinM

its not the size of the rock the affects how much bacteria takes to it but the surface area, i.e a porous rock has more surface area than solid rock inside and out

14. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Correct me if I'm wrong...
    Quality Life Rock is determined more by the actual physical property of the rock than the number of life inside. The MORE porous it is, the more live can it support inside. And the more live will be inside over time.

So comparing two rocks from different places, and say the one is 80% porous and the other 50%. And when you get them, they are both already a number of days in transit with a lot of die-off. It means that in reality the 80% rock have more dead stuff in it. There is more place, so more life, so more death... My conclusion, the 50% rock have better quality live in it at this point in time.

After a couple of months, yes then the 80% rock has regrown its community inside. Then it will be the better rock.

Another view, the 80% rock should be bigger by volume than the 50% rock for a 2kg rock. So both at the same price, the 80% will fill the tank quicker. At different price, take one each of same weight and compare the physical size. Maybe for the less porous at a cheaper price, you can get a bigger volume of rock. Then maybe not.

A good quality base rock, man made, follows the same rules in my opinion. The more porous it is, the better it is. And over time, the more living creatures will be in it.

15. crispin

crispin

JB i am not in total agreement with ya, only half way there :) I agree that diversity is key to a system and the different bacteria one gets from different LR is of parramount importance. More so in mature systems when the diversity is at times deminished due to one or a few species doiminating others. Itroducing LR (even small amounts) is advantages at this time.

With regard to the quality of Bio rock (base rock) that depends very much on how it was made and by whom and IF they knew what they were doing. Asuuming that they do the research I have read and my personal experience was that its never as good with regards to filtration that good quality LR.

LR forms the lungs of a system. Bio rock is basically a lung which has been smoking and is clogged for the last 40 years. the better the quality of LR the better the primary biological filtration of the system is.

I am however a big believer in Bio rock as the support structure of a reef, especially over the use of egg crate, but as a 1-1 comparrison of the two with regards to the filtration and its quality i dont think that Base Rock touches sides with LR.

16. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Spot on! I had to read through it twice :p but it makes sense.

17. Tim S

Tim S

All seem to asume that "base rock" is man made. The base rock I have purchased is 100% natural chunks of dead coral and so on. It is very porous and a water stream runs straight through it. Is this refered to as base rock as well or am I confusing the matter?

Recent Posts