Bare bottom

Reaction score
Morning chaps

Looking for some advice. With a bare bottom tank, does anybody put a background on the bottom? Will be spraying a black background on back of tank, just wondering should I also do the bottom?

Why spray if you could rather use 1.3mm black ABS sheet?

Bottom will anyway be a bit of a mirror due to the lights. Using black closed cell foam would look better than white polystyrene. Do not spray the bottom as any spilled water will mess it up in no time.

Hi Riaan.

Wont spray bottom then.
Spraying the back as I find it easier to clean glass with blade than cleaning the ABS. Scratches so easy

The ABS sits on the outside of the tank.

Havent seen that before. If you get splashes does the water not go between glass and sheet?

This is something I would like to get more info on.

That is how I run my tank. Yes, salt creep can make ugly streaks in between the glass and sheet. But you should not have salt water running down the back of the tank.
Sliding out to a side, wipe it off is an option, if plumbing is not in the way.

1.3mm is a very stiff. And will stand upright by itself with minimal fuss. You do get 0.9mm as well, but they are a lot more flimsy and you need to make a plan holding them in place.

I have a 10cm wide strip, running the length of my tank. Sitting on top of the brace, at a angle against the wall. OK, the tank is just 1cm away from the wall, very very close. This strip prevent fish jumping out and falling down the back of the tank. Or snails climbing over. Plus it catches most of the splashes made by my Regal tang. Tank further from the wall and you might need a wider strip.

Last edited:
I use black vinyl from a signage company up the road from work. I have used this on most of my tanks and find it 100 times better than painting or anything else, one applies it like the guys who do window tinting and trust me it does not come off easy and water does not affect it. I apply with spray bottle with some dish wash liquid and an old bank card and leave for 2 days to dry.

@Royden Church
Pictures please....

A TL550 got a thick plastic sticker type thing around its back. Is it very similar?

This is my 500L corner tank (which I am going to convert to marine within this month) The 2 back panels have been done with vinyl.

20170304_094819_resize.jpg

20170304_094835_resize.jpg

20170304_094853_resize.jpg

20170305_205021_resize.jpg

I also use vynl and get mine from maizey plastics sold in metres. There's also a few blue shades which are also close to the colour of the perspex they keep so covering an overflow in a similar colour is easy.

Use Dulux Pearlglo water based paint on all my bottoms for almost two years now no issues but won't recommend for salt creep prone areas like the back of a rimless tank it peals.

True vinyl is probably the best just hate working with it so prefer to get the local pro to do it for me but it's probably not that bad after some practice.

Back
Top Bottom