Bare Bottom or Not.

Reaction score
Hi All.

Im in the process of setting up my RSR 425XL and was thinking of going bare bottom with this tank. I know some of pros and cons.. But the tank will be SPS dominated and i know i cant keep certain fish and crustains ect with no sand, but its for me more for the corals. I want to cover the bottom with montys ect..

I want to know what are some of your experience with Bare Bottom or some advice...

Thanx in advance..

Reaction score
I have a bare bottom, tat has a 3 mm white pvc sheet covering the entire bottom. The white is great as you get the reflectance, and super easy to clean. IMO bare bottom is best as you can crank up the flow especially in a SPS dominant system.

leslie hempel

Sponsor
Reaction score
biggest thing aswell is th CUC they need a bit of footing if the flow is massive, but im personally a fan of sand but BB is way easier, i have just taken all my sand out my system AGAIN and its made a massive difference!

Reaction score
I have a bare bottom, tat has a 3 mm white pvc sheet covering the entire bottom. The white is great as you get the reflectance, and super easy to clean. IMO bare bottom is best as you can crank up the flow especially in a SPS dominant system.
Hmmm didn't think about that..It also protects the glass..Now to figure out where to get the pvc sheet in CPT to fit the 425xl.. Wonder if the monty's etc will be able to atrach to the PVC...

Reaction score
biggest thing aswell is th CUC they need a bit of footing if the flow is massive, but im personally a fan of sand but BB is way easier, i have just taken all my sand out my system AGAIN and its made a massive difference!
Yes i have sand in my RSR Nano..But it collects to much crap..When i clean the sand its horrible..Want to give BB a go.If it does not work i can always add sand. But know it will not be a good idea..So i will then seed the sand seperate and add it when cycled..

leslie hempel

Sponsor
Reaction score
If you can try limit rock contact with the sand, it will allow less dead spots but my biggest problem was that my flow pumps would heap sand up in corners and the sand would go anoxic.

So I pulled it all out and in less than a month my sps colours are all back and they are growing!

Sand beds need to be propperly mature and well tended to otherwise best left out imo

Reaction score
I currently have a BB reef and love it. Been easy to keep tank clean. However I am now putting sand in as I would like to get a leopard wrasse at some point and sand is needed for them

leslie hempel

Sponsor
Reaction score
If I may suggest perhaps taking a Tupperware and lining the edge with rock to make it less visible and add the sand in there. The wrasse will find it and you still get to keep the majority BB

Reaction score
If I may suggest perhaps taking a Tupperware and lining the edge with rock to make it less visible and add the sand in there. The wrasse will find it and you still get to keep the majority BB
Have thought of this yes. Space is an issue in the setup and I don't like the look of the whole Tupperware.

Thanks for the suggestion

hotdog83

Clone Fish
Reaction score
I also always read that sand sleeping wrasses need sand, but I have kept Anampses wrasse in a bare bottom flobin for a few months before while we were renovating and they didn’t seem to really be bothered. Also in qt I never have sand and the wrasses don’t seem to mind, have qt-ed leopard wrasses, Halichoeres and Anampses like this. So can most probably keep a leopard wrasse without sand if it eats prepared foods properly.

leslie hempel

Sponsor
Reaction score
Most will just revert to spinning a mucus cacoon, but I'm not too sure what energy this will consume for the fish longterm.

But wrasse are pretty resilient, I would just want to make sure the habitat is as natural as possible for the more picky ones.

Reaction score
I also always read that sand sleeping wrasses need sand, but I have kept Anampses wrasse in a bare bottom flobin for a few months before while we were renovating and they didn’t seem to really be bothered. Also in qt I never have sand and the wrasses don’t seem to mind, have qt-ed leopard wrasses, Halichoeres and Anampses like this. So can most probably keep a leopard wrasse without sand if it eats prepared foods properly.
Have also heard that it can be done, however I'm in agreement with @leslie hempel that I want to try create as natural an environment as possible for the fish.

Have been reading and many do believe that after a long time in a barebottom they can begin to stress if not given the choice to burrow like they would and can slowly fade.

But back to the thread at hand. I would highly recommend barebottom tanks to anyone who wants to run a clean setup. Yes it does require work still as I still had dead corners where muck would eventually pile up and you would have to make a plan to remove it. I would just directly siphon it down to my filter sock and then replace the sock with a new one once a week. It does begin to get some algae growth on the bottom however and for me it wasn't an option to be able to scrape the bottom as I had lots of rocks so that is something to consider.

For reference here is my setup as it stood a small while back and it ran BB since it's start last year June/July

So BB doesn't have to be ugly either. Would highly recommend putting a white vinyl or black vinyl on the bottom before setting the tank up if possible, as it takes the mirror effect away when filled with water.

One final side not on going barebottom is that you don't need to spend a few hundred bucks on buying sand which can be put towards corals:m06:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Just my 2c worth of info... I have seen with bare bottom tanks that they are susceptible to nitrite and ammonia spikes when you move things around in your tank or sump. Don't know if it is because of the reduced area for bacteria colonization (as I think the sand bed forms part of). Somehow you must make up for that surface area because I think your system is going to battle to balance out and have a reduced capacity to complete the nitrogen cycle that happens on a daily basis. This is just my thoughts on the subject

Reaction score
Thanx everyone. I kniw about the bacteria issue and will have some LR pieces, matrix and AF stones in for bacteria.. Does anyone know where i can get these pvc/abs sheets from in CPT..

Reaction score
@Arries you will be able to get plastic sheets cut to size at Maizey’s plastics in Paarden Eiland. You can go to them with your cutting list and they will cut while you wait.

leslie hempel

Sponsor
Reaction score
Just my 2c worth of info... I have seen with bare bottom tanks that they are susceptible to nitrite and ammonia spikes when you move things around in your tank or sump. Don't know if it is because of the reduced area for bacteria colonization (as I think the sand bed forms part of). Somehow you must make up for that surface area because I think your system is going to battle to balance out and have a reduced capacity to complete the nitrogen cycle that happens on a daily basis. This is just my thoughts on the subject
would deffinatley run this with at least LR in the sump, but im going to be adding 2 denitrators soon so i will see if that will effect anything in the longterm.