Banggai Cardinalfish: Threatened with Extinction

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
Link - The Banggai Cardinalfish: Threatened with Extinction - Reefs.com

With it being one of the relatively "easier" marine species to breed, we really should be trying as hobbyists to breed these fish as much as possible. We have plenty of information on the forum about how to breed them, one or two guys are actively breeding but we need more, the help is here and available. Let's be proactive and breed, breed, breed, the fish you sell could easily pay for more corals.:D

Last edited:
Agreed was shocked to see that article.

Ive successfully raised a batch it very easy so if anyone would like advice. Ask away

Do you have any, Adrian? I am looking to buy a pair (hubby finally caved and said I could get them) :lol:

Unfortunately not but will go with you to try identify a pair. Not the easiest thing to do but armed with some frozen food and keen eye can be done

Hubby finally caved?? You mean you sold more furniture?
Please post updates as you go along, especially sexing them at the shop. I recall there's a thread somewhere on here on the subject.

Unfortunately not but will go with you to try identify a pair. Not the easiest thing to do but armed with some frozen food and keen eye can be done
Cool and thanks! I know that there was something regarding the jaw being more angular being the male (or something to that sort). Can't find the thread for the life of me...
And since you offered help, I'm going to take full advantage:
What is the earliest that you can identify what their gender is?
Can you buy one and add another later or is it better to add both at the same time?

Hubby finally caved?? You mean you sold more furniture?
Please post updates as you go along, especially sexing them at the shop. I recall there's a thread somewhere on here on the subject.

Shhh, he doesn't know yet that the garage may no longer be housing cars...:lol:
He was never found of the look of cardinals (don't blame him on the pajama ones) so I could never buy them. Lately he mellowed out (from me asking all the time) and said I could get them.
Will do on the updates, just need to find a pair. Also don't want fish from the same batch to prevent inbreeding. Not too sure if that is a big concern as I don't see any posts on that...

I need to get off my bum and get myself organised, I've been lucky enough to find a breeding pair, every now and again I see mouthfulls of eggs, lol.

2015-10-22 15.46.42.jpg

2015-10-22 15.46.30.jpg

2015-10-22 15.46.43.jpg

2015-10-22 15.46.41.jpg

Strangely enough, this is one fish I never had.

With my system stable I actually are looking into something extra to do. But my new job most likely will not allow. Seems I will be away a week in a month. Breeding fish is not something you let the tank sitter watch over. Although I am very tempted.

As far as I know Dallas has some for sale. If they still available Im not sure. Give him a call.:whistling:

i have plenty for sale :)

are the ones you have related? Same brood?

Same parents, no sibling breeding

i just catch them, to impersonal too look under the clothes

Back
Top Bottom