Banggai Cardinal > swim-bladder > suggestions?

Discussion in 'Quarantine Tanks, sick fish, QT corals' started by scottyD, 28 Jan 2014.

1. scottyD

scottyD

Hi to all the fish doctors

I purchased a Banggai Cardinal the previous Saturday (so about 10 days ago) and this morning he (assuming "he" is male seeing that he is acting like he has man-flu) was not swimming very lekker compared to previous days.

In the morning and afternoon he was swimming in one place, making small "darting" movements in a face down position. A "fish chiropractor" has a potential diagnosis of SWIM BLADDER :eek:. Seems legit on what he did later the afternoon (swimming in circles at times, upside down :lol: etc etc. in his new home, the quarantine tank) and referring to Google.

Now the question, keeping him in the QT to positively identify the illness, is there anything I can do about SWIM BLADDER? (apart form either letting him be or euthanasia)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Leave him in QT until you know what is going on or until its cured. Provided your QT is a system capable to hold him for a longer term.

4. scottyD

scottyD Thread Starter

Thanks RiaanP. Will do.

For interest sake, there isn't anything I can do if it is swim bladder (effective treatment?), appart from "performing a needle stabbing Japanese aquarist move" that I do not think I will be taking my or his chances on?

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Nothing else I know that you can do.

Sorry for the delay. How is the banggai today?

6. scottyD

scottyD Thread Starter

Update on the Cardinal...

Three days after moving him to the QT, not feeding him for the time in the QT, he recovered and now after almost a week it is as if nothing was wrong. I am still keeping my eye on him.

I however did find some info at http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104322 which dates to 2004.

Treatment suggested was: (for goldfish)
    1. Feed your fish a couple of peas.
    2. Fast your fish for a couple of days. > this is what I tried and it seemed to work
    3. Periodic aspiration of the swim bladder works very well. Basically, you stick a needle in the swim bladder and suck out some of the air.
    4. Partial pneumocystectomy. This is another word for surgical removal of part of the swim bladder.

3 & 4 is probably not the best idea for the general non-vet / non-doc aquarium enthusiast.

Recent Posts