banana wrasse and six line wrasse compatible?

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by inflames, 6 Aug 2009.

1. inflames

inflames

Hi Guys,

I currently have a six line wrasse and the LFS has a nice size Banana wrasse for a fair price. Would I have any issues between the 2? The Banana wrasse is a little bigger than my six line currently...dont wanna have 3rd world war in my tank! Have a standard 4 foot tank with 5 other fish. I also have fine substrate and have heard that the banana wrasee like to bury themselves!

Any advise or comments please?!?! Thanks:yeahdude:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Hi inflames.
    There is a huge chance that the six line wrasse will fight with the banana wrasse and may even kill it. That is the only reason why im not putting any wrasses into my system, because of the six line.

4. ben lloyd

ben lloyd

my chose will be the bigger banana wrasse i have 2 with 1 six line and they get along nicely. Also i fond that the banana wrasse is cool to watch they are very active all ways up to something.

5. crispin

crispin

i had a six line and a canary (all yellow opposed to the yellow on top and white belly of the bannan wrass) and had no compatability issues, even though the sixline was established in tank first. But they say six lines get agressive at times, so its always a risk.

although the banana wrass is said to be more teritorial than the canary wrass and might hold its own.

IF you mixed them (i personally would) i would suggest that the bannan can spend a month or longer living in the sump with substrate and a piece of glass over the compartment so that it is fat, healthy and fully aclimatised before any battles with the six line if they occure

6. crispin

crispin

although the all yellow canary wrasse is a more peaceful and nicer tank mate in my opinion (also called the yellow lunar wrasse I think)

7. inflames

inflames Thread Starter

Thanks Guys,

The only reason I am considering it is because it is bigger (probably 1 and half times) that my six line! It does look healthy and think a month in the sump would be a good idea! It is the one with 3 black dots on the top...seem to be a few different types!

8. inflames

inflames Thread Starter

Is this Canary wrasse better suited to have with the six line? and reef safe?:whistling:

9. magman

magman

I have a banana as well as several other wrasse, and the banana is very friendly and reef safe. He is actually my wifes favorite fish. He does sleep in the substrate, but I would recomend him highly, especially over other wrasse.

10. inflames

inflames Thread Starter

Thanks for this! I also really like it and would add some nice color to my tank! Problem is...I am not ever gonna catch my sixline and he is also a really beautiful fish... wanna keep the two if possible! Have heard that if Threatened they can and will hide in the sustrate (one of the reasons I changed to playsand from course coral):razz:

Recent Posts