Ballvalve connection

Reaction score
I'm connecting this to my overflow. Does it matter which way it goes up? The 50mm pipe just goes in... do I need to seal it with silicone? I know silicone doesn't work very well on PVC

ballvalve.jpg

You need a tube of PVC weld for that, bear in mind that once it's dry it's permanent, no 2nd chances as with silicone.

I use silicone for non-permanent, non-pressure PVC to PVC joins. This has allowed me to recycle a lot of fittings over the years.

Like viper says, it's not as strong so be careful.

I'm connecting this to my overflow. Does it matter which way it goes up? The 50mm pipe just goes in... do I need to seal it with silicone? I know silicone doesn't work very well on PVC

ballvalve.jpg

Gaboon I hope you didn't pay the amount on the pricetag, or did ya! should have been less my man.

Sanders

gaboon, I've seen a directional arrow on ball valves I've used. It seemed to indicate what direction the water should flow. I've never really seen the point, though.

If your one doesn't have an arrow, I really wouldn't worry. The inside mechanism looks symmetrical to me. Maybe it's just a convention I don't know about like "the longer part of the handle always points downstream" or something.

It is most probably to have consistency in the handle - that when it is pointing down it is fully open. If installed wrong way round fully open is upward - like taps that is installed in a certain way this is the same I think. Follow the directional arrow - that ballvalve has one.

LikesFish, I think these only go through a quarter turn, with "parallel to the pipe" being open and "perpendicular to the pipe" closed. This means you can't have a down versus up problem.

R170!? Wow.

For 50mm if you paid more than R70 , you paid to much.You can get them for about R65 each

robvd - of course you can. If you install it in the direction of the arrow, perpendicular would be closed and the long side pointing down would be fully open. If you install it upside down then perpendicular is still closed but full open is now with the long side pointing upward. That is - you need to turn the handle downwards to close it, whereas in the right way up you need to turn the handle upwards to close it.

Gaboon, I would fix it as in the pic with the screw part at the top so you can always remove the ball section for maintenance.

Gaboon, I would fix it as in the pic with the screw part at the top so you can always remove the ball section for maintenance.

lIghty that is the correct way. If you however want to be different (and stubborn) it will work as well the other way round.

Cheers

PVC weld can be loosened with a heat gun but it is messy.

You guys are missing the point of the ball valve union. It is used to shut of water, so that the union can be opened to remove for example a pump for maintenance. Very important to have the tap on the tank side of a CLS, otherwise unscrew the union and tank drains. If it is unimportant to sheut off water flow the union can go either side. The tap is unidirectional.

Back
Top Bottom