Balast Connection

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by nepellew, 16 Dec 2012.

1. nepellew

nepellew

How do i connect my new ballast i understand the bulb connection side but the wires in , is it connected like this [​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. nepellew

nepellew Thread Starter

Bump

4. Pendragon

Pendragon

Nutral = brown
    Earth= yellow and grean
    live= blue
    :whistling: hope that helps

5. WarrenElvis

WarrenElvis

Neutral and live are correct, you can leave the middle with no connection as you are going to earth to the metal housing

:lol:Wow remind me not to ask you to do the wiring in my house, maybe things done differently in Sandton;)
    at least earth you were spot on, you might want to check the plugs in your house
    this might help http://www.eskom.co.za/c/article/85/wiring-a-plug/:tt2:
    It must be the late hour @Pendragon

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. Pendragon

Pendragon

hmm OK so maybe was, better half was asleep so was in other room, Q what is line and what is nutral on a 2pin plug :whistling:. Had a look at myne and its wired right.

7. WarrenElvis

WarrenElvis

With 2 prong appliances, live and neutral are interchangeable, because you can plug the 2 prong into it's socket in any which way, so you might say it doesn't matter.
    But it actually it does matter which way you wire AC plugs and devices. Most people will think that because its alternating that its the same both ways but it's not that simple.

AC power in SA and most other countries comes from the supplier in the form of 3-phase. Each phase is has a common connection to the others called neutral, the Live wire in a domestic installation carries the high voltage whilst the Neutral line stays at or near Earth potential at all times. In practice, variations in the power being take from each phase cause the Neutral voltage to vary, but it normally stays within a couple of volts of Earth.
    Most equipment sold for example in the U.K. only has single-pole switching. This means that the on-off switch is only connected in the Live wire to the equipment. This is perfectly safe provided everything is connected correctly. The reversed polarity will mean that the switch is now in the Neutral line, and even if the equipment is switched off, the Live line is still connected. This now sets up the situation that even though the equipment is apparently turned off, inadvertently touching either the Live or Neutral wire will result in an electric shock. Besides the safety aspect some appliances such as induction motors will run backwards if you connect the power up the wrong way.

Example : A 2 wire extension to a bed side table lamp with a switch on it.
    Wire it the wrong way and you can get a nasty surprise when you're changing a bulb even if the switch is off. Wire it the right way and you won't get zapped if you touch either neutral or live with the switch off.

Last edited: 17 Dec 2012
    Pendragon likes this.
  8. Seabass

Seabass

What happens if I connect my chiller wrong. I have not earthed it as I go from 3 wire to 2 wire. Then I put brown to neutral and blue to live.

9. WarrenElvis

WarrenElvis

Again not correct way of doing things. It will work yes, but again, just say god forbids something happens and the house burns down and insurance come in and and see that it could have been caused by incorrect wiring, just saying. Have heard of a factory burnt down because of an issue with a fridge. You know how these insurance guys get
    Also to remove earth out of the equation its like saying lets not install earth leakage on our houses damn right crazy in my books
    The third pin on a plug is there to help to protect the appliance connected to it from being damaged by an internal short circuit. A short might occur at any time inside an electrical appliance if its internal wiring's insulation gets overheated, or gets damaged in some other way. Your choice.

10. Seabass

Seabass

Shot Warren, will correct this ASAP.

Recent Posts