Baking soda

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi Arab - I agree with Kalkwasser.
The addition of sodium bicarbonate or carbonate also depends on total system volume (the dilution of the sodium into the tank water), as well as the frequency and volume of water changes being done. Water changes will of course dilute the sodium even more.

If you still want to go ahead with buffering your tank's waterm by using sodium bicarbonate or sodium carbonate (sodium carbonate is sodium bicarb that was baked in an over at e.g. 180 degrees for 1 hour), then you should add one teaspoon at a time, wait for at least 1 to 2 hours, then measure your tank water's alkalinity. Repeat these steps until your see your tank's alkalinity increase to the required level.....
Then, once you have achieved the desired alkalinity level, you should stop dosing sodium bicarb/carb and keep on measuring your alkalinity until you see it drop. Then only dose a teaspoon at a time again.... until you find a balance in the amount you require.

Reaction score
I agree with Makaeel, that is fins so no need to add anything unnatural.
Don't get tempted to dose just because other people do. I thing regular water changes with a good salt is the best way to keep your parameters in the right range.

Reaction score
Sorry to hijack, but i'm in the same boat here , my dKH is 7 and all over I read that 8-12 is ideal ?

Bought some Alphen Sodium Bicarbonate (Koek Soda) and was hoping to increase to about 10 dKH

So you guys will not recommend, should I just keep on 7dKH ? Also got Slaked Lime (kalwasser)