Bagging a fish

Discussion in '► Sponsor Request Forum' started by Pendragon, 6 Jun 2013.

1. Pendragon

Pendragon

I was just wandering how long a fish can last in a bag, as I bought one the other day I had 4 stops that took me around 3 hours I did keep the poor fish out of the sun and in a dark place, when I got home it was so stressed out that it was gasping for air and dark brown. fish in question was a Tenetti tang. Its the first time ever that I bought a fish that didn't even make it into my tank that died.:dft004:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Fred d

Fred d

wow .... someone should slap you for that bud ......
    what's more ... a forum like this is not the best place to openly admit to suffocating a surgeon fish

4. Fred d

Fred d

LFS's don't put much water into bags for the livestock so on average I would say after an hour your pushing your luck ... depends on fish condition and size , bag size and quantity of water .........

sorry for jumping on you bud ...
    just hate to hear of a fish suffering

5. chikaboo

chikaboo

Not nice to hear bud ... BUT ... Lets hope its a lesson learnt .... Your best bet is to do whatever chores you need to do and collect livestock last before you head home ... Having said that though it is important to let your LFS know if you have to make stops after you collected livestock so that they can appropriately package you pet ... Most pet shop can bag fish to last quite long ... 8 hours plus even .... But the oweness if for you tell them how long they will be in transit for. .... Better luck next time

6. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Fish can last many hours in a bag. Most imports are bagged to last 48hours some a lot longer.

So fish can last long hours in a bag.:( but it is preparation and treatment dependent on that preparation that will determine how long a fish can be safely bagged.

Large Water volume does not necessarily determine better shipping. Littel good quality water with little "die off" is better than rich nutrient water that that will have a big "die off" of plankton.

I to would be upset if a fish did not make it on purchase. But then I would have planed for the timing expected and informed the baging person as to the requirement.

7. Paddy 07

Paddy 07

Tagging

8. bryan

bryan Sponsor

BROADACRES SHOPPING CENTRE, Fourways, Sandton, JHB
    36-48 hrs if bagged by Jungle Aquatics. We use the same procedure as overseas suppliers when they export with pure oxygen, we also add microbelifts anti stress bagging station to reduce stress in fish and reinforce the mucous slime coat. Just don't drive around and park in the sun with the fish in the cars boot... :tt2:

9. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

I don't think three hours in a bag should have killed the fish. As Nemos Janitor points out, fish are in bags for a lot longer when they get shipped. Most people would be shocked if they saw how much water and air fish actually get shipped in.
    Was the fish stressed before being bagged? How exactly did the shop bag the fish?
    I think all shops should bag a fish properly regardless of how long you plan to take to get home.

The only person that needs a slap here is Fred, this is a forum where we help each other out and ask advice. Rather speak about mishaps to prevent others from doing the same.

10. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Honestly I have left an LFS with fish in their bags for hours a few times & never had a loss, maybe the fish was stressed before leaving the LFS.

11. Ruberto Frazao

Ruberto Frazao Sponsor

Usually if you know you going to be out for a couple of ours you as the lfs for a polysterine box so that the temperature of the water will stay the same.. if your cars temp changes suddenly and the fish is not in a poly box it is a ticking time bomb waiting to explode... a lfs uses bigger bags with more oxygen and more water than what the importers use to ship the fish.. everytime when i but a fish i take my cooler box with and place the bag in there.. less temp changes and less sudden movement of the bag that could cause stress or injury... remember were putting a fish in a bag.. i bet u would not like to be put in a bag...

12. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

Before we used pure oxygen and Microbe lift stress relief , we sent stock 8 hours away( One fish per bag- 1 fish to 1 .2 litres of water ) and had minimal loss - The pure oxygen we use now does help tremendously as now the weight can be reduced for currier costs and the fish arrive allot happier even over much longer time periods.

We follow a 1 third water and two thirds oxygen rule in bags with rounded corners so that the fish doesn't get trapped in a corner and Suffocate...
    If there were corners to the bag , either turn it upside down or tape the Corners up so that the bag is round again. - how was your bag ?
    D

13. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I lost a fish basically directly after the bag. Was not very happy when I got home and tested the salinity in the bag and it was 1.1016. Not advisable to try and bring a fish out of hypo while having it in a bag. The time is just too long and the lawnmower blennie just did not make it. But I think this case is unrelated.

But 3 hours is not a lot. Unless it was a big fish in a too small bag. Too much water in the bag and not enough oxygen at the top.

The sponsors who responded here can confirm, Normally its about a third water and two thirds oxygen.

Last edited: 7 Jun 2013
  14. Anemone

Anemone

A healthy fish should have survived more than 3 hours in a bag....assuming temperatures and conditions in the car were not an issue.

15. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

3 hours is nothing as long as it's in an insulated box.

16. Bflynn

Bflynn

Ive had fish in a bag for 5 hours in the car, with some stress. But they are still going now. I also transported fish in a polystyrene box when we moved in the middle of the night "I wasnt dodging the landlord" water temp hit 14 and they where fine.

17. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Seriously? That's a totally uncalled for post, fish are shipped overnight across continents in plastic bags, unacceptable to say he deserves a slap and then accuse him of suffocating a fish on purpose. It's exactly posts like these that makes people scared to post on the forum for fear of being nailed and criticized, we're supposed to be offering help and advice, not advocating assault and blame.

18. Fred d

Fred d

@Pendragon

As I said in post #3 guys ... sorry for jumping on him ... more than appologise I cannot do .....
    But for what its worth ... sorry for jumping on you man ... I had no ill and ntent ...

I have seen , on occasion how fish were packaged AND CAUGHT to be packaged and remember thinking to myself ... this fish aint gonna make it out the door ...

Based on that I said what I said .

Now I know that this is probably in the minority so

Sorry if I offended you pendragon ... would hate for you to leave the forum over me voicing my oppinion

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  19. hotdog83

hotdog83 Clone Fish

Yeah, the longest we've had fish in 5 liter water bottles/bags coming from the coast was 26 hours (slept over halfway). This included a tang. No losses. We did use AM guard though. So 3 hours is nothing if the temp did not get too high (>30C). Remember dissolved oxygen also gets less as water gets hotter, so if the water cools down, it is actually not all that bad for the fish. Not the same when it gets too hot.

20. Gary Roebuck

Gary Roebuck

just a point, as common sense is not as common as u'd think.. if u are bagging/removing fish from the ocean, n u fancy a few corals too, make sure not to bag them (or even bucket them) together, the corals suck up all the oxygen n the fish die within an hour or 2..

21. Gary Roebuck

Gary Roebuck

i've done similar.. used oxygen tabs as well as bringing extra water, which i shake vigorously before doing an in-situ water change.

Recent Posts