Bad news, getting rid of my tank

Reaction score
Yup tanks gotta go, the good news is I'm replacing it with a bigger one! I need advise on how to move the old one as the new one which has to be built in my house is going exactly where the old one is. So how do I move my old one (246L) with everything in it safely and with as little stress to the livestock? What I was thinking was to drain 90%, remove LR and livestock, drain sump just leaving the dsb chamber submersed, dragging tank to where I want it and then refilling with water, LR and livestock as quickly as possible. Am I missing anything? Any tips I should know.

Gaboon - good luck with this venture... Just remember that this move WILL most likely cause crap to get into the water column, causing a major spike in ammonia/nitrites again.
Perhaps try to get hold of Organic Aqua. The stuff seems to work... This SHOULD allow you to safely move the tank, without any casualties....

yeah what Jacques said

Gaboon - good luck with this venture... Just remember that this move WILL most likely cause crap to get into the water column, causing a major spike in ammonia/nitrites again.
Perhaps try to get hold of Organic Aqua. The stuff seems to work... This SHOULD allow you to safely move the tank, without any casualties....

What kind of crap? Sorry dumb question. I'll get the stuff to be on the safe side.

Hi gaboon - detritus - you will ALWAYS get detritus in a tank when you disturb the live rock, the sand, etc.... The detritus then goes into the water column (this is the detritus that is busy being consumed by the bacteria in the substrate and in-between the live rock, and inside the live rock)..... This detritus will then immediately start being broken down to ammonia/nitrites/nitrates.... of which the ammonia/nitrites are bad for the fish and inverts...

So do you think it would be a good idea to unhook the one powerhead and direct it between LR to minimise detritus during the move?

oh ja, I will start a thread soon on the new tank. Gonna need LOTS of help!:)

So do you think it would be a good idea to unhook the one powerhead and direct it between LR to minimise detritus during the move?
Hi Gaboon - yes - this will indeed be a very good idea.

Back
Top Bottom