• If you are a related business or shop and wish to advertise on this forum and our facebook group then please send an email to admin@marineaquariumsa.com or use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page. Cost is R1500.00 for 6 months sponsorship.

Bad news for the Pet trade...

Do you have a link to the Bill?
That letter looks a bit abbreviated, no point getting everyone upset and angry until we actually see what is written in the bill.

LOL ok

Where your Scolys !!!!!!:thumbup:

Those figures are form INDO and you left off Health Cert and GOV CITIES application of $350 off. My 12$ is not far off 5.4 if you want to pull threads, as im talking abt a packed m-l coral!

@459b i think world wide it will happen its hectic to see the size of trachys decrease to the size they have.

It will become harder and harder to get coral in the future

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have a link to the Bill?

That letter was sent to all the sapta members , but the first line "On Friday the 16th of January the proposed KZN Nature Conservation Bill was published for comment."
Should mean you can find the proposed bill online hopefully - "Google is your friend " :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesnt WC have similar issues with reptiles etc?

i remember when chatting to DAFF etc that most of our land is declared a reserve so most exotic animals can pose an issue

Hmmm.....

I just called the KZN wild life and requested a copy of this new Bill. I was informed that the bill has not been published for comment yet. I was told the the bill is still with the MEC. Aparantly the bill was leaked.

This is the likely reason why one cannot find it on the net.

Perky Pets - keep fighting the bil. I had to fight two sections of the most recent amendments in Gauteng and we were successfull with both. Make sure you hand in the submissions and make sure the reasons on the submissions are factual.

Also see other countries laws - best practice is often found in countries who deal with things more rational. You mentioned that even Sea-Monkeys were forbidden. If anybody even used the word Sea-Monkey in law he needs his head examined. Brine shrimp is available at all salt pans in South Africa and we have never been able to establish if our brine shrimp is truly South African or originating from elsewhere.

I would know since I was the Sea-Monkey importer from 2004 - 2008 and we sold the most sets to Durban. Wonder what they would do when they find out that the new "Ferry Shrimp" tanks at local toy stores is "sea Monkeys" in disguise

Perky Pets - keep fighting the bil. I had to fight two sections of the most recent amendments in Gauteng and we were successfull with both. Make sure you hand in the submissions and make sure the reasons on the submissions are factual.

Also see other countries laws - best practice is often found in countries who deal with things more rational. You mentioned that even Sea-Monkeys were forbidden. If anybody even used the word Sea-Monkey in law he needs his head examined. Brine shrimp is available at all salt pans in South Africa and we have never been able to establish if our brine shrimp is truly South African or originating from elsewhere.

I would know since I was the Sea-Monkey importer from 2004 - 2008 and we sold the most sets to Durban. Wonder what they would do when they find out that the new "Ferry Shrimp" tanks at local toy stores is "sea Monkeys" in disguise

Hey Sea horse - the article was mailed to me - i did not wright it :)
Im forwarding it on for interests sake...
D

i battled for 2 years for coral propagation and fish breeding with DAFF etc

I personally feel a permit system can be a great addition to the pet industry. At the moment, you can pretty much buy any animal you want. Allot of people have proven time and time again that they are too stupid to be given the opportunity to decide on what animals to own. Simply, because they don't look after them. The ornamental fish trade is especially guilty of this, treating fish like replaceable ornaments. ( Mostly by people not on this site, you are here because you are trying)

From a animal rights/activist point of view all animals should be on a permit system. It might not be practical, but basic husbandry training should be a prerequisite before getting a permit to own any living thing. To simplify things, a blanket permit system would be ideal... ie: Tropical fish permit, Reptile permit.... When husbandry is not up too standards the permits can be with drawn.

Legislation needs to be put in place to 1. Protect people from themselves. 2. To protect animals from people..... Specially in the reptile industry where any Tom, Dick and Harry can buy himself a Rattle snake or Cotten Mouth.

I don't think we should appose a permit system.... Rather consult constructively to develop a system that serves the hobby effectively.

yeah, how will they police a permit system?

And who will ultimately pay for that system.

Technically even a budgie would be illegal. It is surely not local. Now who would hand out a permit for each and every budgie in this country? If the state cannot even handle firearms applications, how in the world would they be able to do this?

I do agree on certain animals, turtles and ferrets for example. For me it is a total miss-application of a supposedly good idea.

But why kill a trade that employs a lot of people.

All this isn't even considering all the palms that will have to be greased, once officials realise there is money to be made, even from people who should legitimately be allowed a permit. And the ones that shouldn't be allowed a permit will still be able to get one for the right price. Who is going to police the police?

Back
Top Bottom