• If you are a related business or shop and wish to advertise on this forum and our facebook group then please send an email to admin@marineaquariumsa.com or use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page. Cost is R1500.00 for 6 months sponsorship.

Bad news for the Pet trade...

Reaction score
Just got this mail - so im not sure if someone has posted it yet ...

Dear SAPTA member

On Friday the 16th of January the proposed KZN Nature Conservation Bill was published for comment. It is a challenge to understand what will be required but what is important to us are the following: Pet shops in their current form in KZN will cease to exist if the proposed act is signed.

For example there are only 98 species of fresh water and marine fish that may be traded with. No aquatic invertebrates excluding “sea monkeys” and daphnia. No corals, anemones, shrimp, snails etc.

Then you will require a permit for ALL exotic mammals excluding laboratory rats and mice and a few domesticated species (dogs, cats etc). This means you will need permits for chinchillas, ferrets, squirrels, hamsters, sugar gliders, hedgehogs, tenrecs, primates, arctic foxes etc.

You will require a permit for ALL exotic reptiles and amphibians (King snakes, bearded dragons etc) although there is a list of species for which you cannot get permits as they are forbidden (basically black listed) and these include but are not restricted to:
Elaphe gutata gutata Corn snakes
Boa constrictor constrictor Boa constrictor
Python molurus bivittatus Burmese python
Bitis nasicornis Nose-horned Viper
Bitis rhinoceros Rhinoceros viper and obviously
Chrysemys scripta Red-eared terrapin

As far as invertebrates go these may no longer be traded with:

Arachnids
Family Theraphosidae All alien species of tarantula spiders
Order Scorpionida All alien species of scorpion

You are only allowed to own or trade in the following invertebrates
Acheta domestica House cricket
Artemia salina x Artemia nyos Sea-Monkey (Hybrid brine shrimp)
Bombyx mori Domesticated silkmoth
Daphnia magna Water flea
Hirudo medicinalis European medicinal leech
Tenebrio molitor Mealworm

No super worms or cockroaches or any other invertebrates.

Fines run up to R100 000 and / or ten years in jail for offences committed.

In Part 1 under the section it clearly states that Registration of Facilities for Breeding and Keeping of Animals in Captivity, Types of registered facilities: Pet shops

That means that all pet shops need to register if they intend keeping animals in captivity as a business.

Furthermore they will all have to register as wildlife traders because it states quite clearly that:
Registration of wildlife trader
(1) Only a person registered by Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife as a wildlife trader in terms of Part 6 of this Chapter may trade in indigenous animal specimens, or specimens of plant species listed in Schedules 7 and 8;
(2) Only a registered wildlife trader may apply to Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife for a standing permit in accordance with a prescribed procedure authorizing him or her to –
(a) operate as a wildlife trader in indigenous animal specimens, and specimens of plant species listed in Schedules 7 and 8; or
(b) convey or transport, or cause to convey or transport, such specimens.

In the event that we cannot get a more reasonable act passed, SAPTA will be liaising with the authorities and trying to streamline the processes that will be followed in future as well as try to get approval that SAPTA handles all applications and renews the permits on an annual basis instead of expecting each store to do this alone. We will also be negotiating for a dispensation to possibly issue permits at the shop for our members (like a fishing license) for mammals or reptiles sold in the shop however this will require quite a bit of give and take. We will keep all our members updated.

Our biggest fear is that if this legislation is passed then the other provinces will see the money that will be generated and also pass similar legislation. Just permit fees are expected to run into millions of Rands each year for the province. SAPTA is busy engaging with government at both provincial and national level and we will fight for our members and keep them posted of changes. Government can exempt certain individuals and organisations from sections of any legislation and if all else fails we will be push for this to be enacted for our members.

If any of our members could forward comment on how this proposed bill will impact their business specifically then please forward this to us for inclusion in the comments we intend handing over at the negotiating table. We retain the right to edit any submissions made to ensure that all negotiations are kept to a cordial level. We only have this week to still give comment on the proposed bill.

Vice Chairman
SAPTA

This is not new news. They had a go in Gauteng last year. There is a national bill that was passed now the provinces are adding their 2cents worth.

The legislation is complex.

I am not going to get involved here again as I will most likely end up in an argument I do not want. All I am going to say is we need to work together to fight this.

I own a coral on that list @dallasg

Will it apply worldwide? I don't have the receipt but a pic would suffice:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Soon SA will be paying the same prices as the USA,

we do, but they pay 1:1 on shipping, we pay 11:1 :)

shipping is the biggest cost here

Not really ,aussie scoly costs about 150 USD and shipping 12$, rainbow chalice cost any where from 300 -400$ per peice! USA also have strict rules enforcing CITIES which adds costs!

@NO3 where do you get that shipping cost from?
I import maybe 5 times a year and there are plenty hidden costs
Namely
I.S.S $0.1 per kg
F.S.S $1 per kg
A.W.B & CGC
Origin Cert : $30
DOCS and Handling: $250
Box: $12
CITIES Doc $50 + $2 per item
Then avg $5.4 per kg

never mind the R475 locally for CITIES and then VAT