bad damsel or?

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by chikaboo, 3 Jan 2009.

1. chikaboo

chikaboo

Hi can n e 1 id this damsel? is he/she good or bad for tank - seems to be bullying other fish[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Rory

Rory Admin MASA Contributor

Looks like a yellow tailed damsel. They are a pretty hardy fish but can pester other tankmates and be rather annoying.

4. chikaboo

chikaboo Thread Starter

[​IMG]Thanx Rory but do you think he can cause too much stress on my other fish so much that that their colours are not right like my kleineye butterfly is not bright yellow n e more getting pale and only wanting to b cleaned by the coral shrimp also is going close to rocks looks like scratching himself also playing alot in my air bubbles - even a small damsel lost his colour - why i want to know coz i am going to durbs this weekend so if he is not good for the tank rather he go back the sea![​IMG]

5. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

If you can catch him put him back. They were not named correctly they should have been called the devil fish. I have been bitten many times by those buggers when diving in rock pools, they are cheeky buggers.

6. chikaboo

chikaboo Thread Starter

thanx shaun i'll try not to upset tank too much but he is a greedy bugger he should be easy to get out! Any ideas bout the two fish losing their colour ? Assuming that removing this gremlin from the tank doesnt help?

7. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

They only shrimp that clean the fish is the cleaner Shrimp.

[​IMG]

What you say about the fish scraping them selves against rock they my have some sort of parasite. Cleaner shrimp and cleaner wrasse are the ones that set up cleaner station for cleaning fish. The shrimp is a better way to go as the cleaner wrasse usually does not last long in out tanks.

Colour change can be food and lighting, and some fish change with age. The fish experts can give you more info on that.

8. chikaboo

chikaboo Thread Starter

This shrimp in the tank seems to being the job of a cleaner or is he trying to eat [​IMG]the butterfly?

9. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

No he is a coral banded shrimp or boxer shrimp, big difference. Cleaners will even clean your fingers if you put them in the tank. They apparently do clean fish, but the cleaner shrimp are the ones that are more known for this type of job.

10. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

The guys are right chikaboo, that fish is a devil. Try and catch him out and send him back to the sea.

11. chikaboo

chikaboo Thread Starter

thanx mekaeel for food advise as well now what bout the butterfly is there n e thing else i can do for him with parasite story cos he is not looking happy at all scraping his face against the rocks and only swimming in my bubble curtains - i think the coral banded shrimp tried to help but may b i have to buy a cleaner shrimp and cleaner wrasses

12. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Rather get 2 cleaner shrimps and leave the cleaner wrasse as they don't do too well in captivity. I read that their numbers are also declining in the ocean :(
    Get yourself Omega One flakes with garlic too feed them to boost their immune system or mix fresh garlic with mussle, calamari and nori in a blender and freeze. Just remember to drain off all access juices from frozen foods before feeding cause it tends to fuel nuisance algae if you don't have a lot of filter feeders in the tank. Defrost in cold RO water and drain off thawed juices.

13. chikaboo

chikaboo Thread Starter

would the cleaner shrimp b able to stay in the same tank as the boxer coz i noticed about three or four small shrimps running around the tank they bout 1cm in size but when they grow i dont know what they become (they came with sum live rock i brought last month from Umhlanga - the boxer i bought is about 6/7 cm in size

14. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Some say that it's ok to put them together. The cleaner is much faster than the coral banded shrimp from what I've seen, so he'll be quite busy if he wants to catch the cleaners.

15. Dolphin

Dolphin

Where did you get that damsel from? If you got it from your LFS, take it back. If you collected it from the sea, I suggest you keep him in your sump. Releasing captive aquarium fish back into natural waters is not allowed according to the Biodiversity Act as well as the Act governing the import of both marine and freshwater fish. Releasing aquarium fish into local waters is one of the reasons that the import of aquarium fish has been questioned by authorities and this type of activity if found to be the practice might result in importation being limited or worse stopped.

viper357 likes this.
  16. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Spot on, very important info.

17. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Very important not to put him in the sea, he may have picked up pathogens from fish not local to SA's shores and could actually cause a devastating spread of desease to the local fish population.

18. Rory

Rory Admin MASA Contributor

Yup, glad some other guys said it before me but I'll say it again just to make sure, never release aquarium fish into the sea (or rivers if they are freshwater fish). Rather try and swap it with someone else, give it away or put it in the sump or a seperate tank.

Note that if it was collected from the sea it would not be legal to swap it with someone else or even give it to them.

19. marine101

marine101

Damsels, aka hell spawn. Your butterflie seems really sick, maybe white spot maybe something else, not sure. Cleaner shrimp or Wrasse wont make any significant difference to that situation. Dont throw fish back in the sea. Whats the full story on your sick fish?

20. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

The Blue Yellow Tail Damsel should be OK, it is the least aggressive of all the Damsels. The Blue Devil Damsel is something else. Looks exactly the same but with a blue tail and a small black dot on the body before the tail just below the back fin. They are a lot more aggressive and are slightly bigger. I had 1 Blue Devil Damsel fighting and bossing 5 Yellow Tail Damsels around.

My quess, the colour loss is something else. Or the Damsel would still be blue. He is the one giving the stress, not getting it...:whistling:

21. chikaboo

chikaboo Thread Starter

the full story he was ok untill bout three days ago then i noticed him going alot to the coral shrimp and playing alot in the bubbles - also he was being chased around the tank by the damsel so i figured he must be stressed out! he was bought altogether with the other fish and the others r ok

Recent Posts