Bacteria killers

Reaction score
Hey gang.

Might be silly or just paranoid, but I had to work on my tank tonight (move sun to shade and add a monti), and just before I stuck my hand in there I realised I had just washed my hands...

I used Dettol liquid hand soap, with anti bacterial disinfectant. Would these chemicals in the soap (same used for bio security reasons on farms - so it really has the anti bacterial stuff...) harm, or maybe kill off the bacteria in a tank? Has it any other ill effects on a system if it doesn't destroy the bacteria?

What can one do to prevent this from happening, ie how long after washing one's hands do you have to wait? Is there anything else to wash with before sticking in a hand? Wow, so many questions in just 1 thread? :whistling:

I reckon as long as you rinse your hands properly you should be fine, i actually don't know if it would have an effect, maybe on the nano's.

I reckon as long as you rinse your hands properly you should be fine, i actually don't know if it would have an effect, maybe on the nano's.

Thanks Alan, now I feel all warm and fuzzy inside ;)

Where's the chemicla guru's? I have seen the thread about ordinary household products, but the dettol hand soap is in a class of its own. It really does kill bacteria on your skin. Like said, I provide security to a Chicken farm, and the bio security aspect is of the highest strictness, were talking international standards, inspected by okes from the UK... Before you can enter a farm, you have to shower... twice. Once at the access gate, once at the farm entrance, both times using dettol soap.

I washed my hands (and body) about 4 hours ago, and can still smell the soap on me.

Tagging.

Should'nt be a major problem, but as a rule I never wash my hands just before working in my tank. An hour or two afterwards is about how long I would wait.

But really there shoudl eb no real problem unless you are touching the corals etc. directly, then ther may be apossibility of some negative effects

Suggestion - but still rins off properly if u gonna work with corals
Question - what you guy's think

... I washed my hands (and body) about 4 hours ago, and can still smell the soap on me.
If you can smell it, there must still be some trace of the soap/bactericide on your hands/body. I would be very wary of transmitting this to the tank.

Have you tried washing your hands with "normal" household soap after the Dettol soap - does it not remove the smell?

I suppose the only "sure" way would be to wash one's hands & arms with alcohol (Meths. ??) and then rinse well with clean water...

Hennie

i normally wash with soap , then wash my hands with hot (almost to the point where it burns you) , seems to remove all smells from my hand

Another Handy-Household-Tip brought to you by Reaper!

Been meaning to ask that question for a while now... don't worry Reaper, you're not the only paranoid one.
Now for another paranoid question... My lounge is small and both the wife and I smoke, surely the cigarette smoke goes into the skimmer...and surely this can't be good as it would be going straight into the water column... any comments?
When we eventually do quit... will the fish and corals also have withdrawal symptoms?

My lounge is small and both the wife and I smoke, surely the cigarette smoke goes into the skimmer...and surely this can't be good as it would be going straight into the water column... any comments?
Well, you've answered yourself - smoking is NOT GOOD for your tank. So, do yourself and your wife a favour, and quit the habit...

Kiss a non-smoker, and taste the difference :thumbup:

Hennie

I wash my hands in nsw before working on the tank.

I also believe these new soaps are bad for us especially the children, we need to keep up our immunity to the bad stuff by being exposed to small amounts of it.

Also misuse of anti biotic s has led to super viruses that are immune to the treatments. So my question is: What will these soaps lead to?

Back
Top Bottom