bacteria for phospate removal

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by mandarinman, 9 Apr 2011.

1. mandarinman

mandarinman

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. FransSny

FransSny

Howzit Glensickle :tt2:

Yes certain bacteria will remove phosphates from the water collum......but once again it comes down to having the right strains ....just google activated sludge systems...you wil find loads of info in this regards

4. Tony

Tony

Probiotics like Prodibio, Special Bland and Stability will help with reducing phosphates. Dosing a carbon source like vodka helps a lot as well as it feeds the bacteria

5. FransSny

FransSny

Tony would you mind elaborating on your statement if you don't mind.

As I understand it (I might be wrong) , certain bacteria will utilize phosphates in order to grow..others wont...

By utilizing the nutrients in the water collum we are reducing the risk of phosphate build up, and thus the drop in phos ?

Also if adding a carbon source, are you not taking away the "food source" you are trying to eliminate ?

IMHO , by dosing vodka you are only ensuring that the system doesn't run out of nutrients needed by bacteria, if you follow the correct dosing regime I wonder if that would be (vodka) really necessary.

Maybe just better to pour it into a glass and look at the tank then :)

6. Tony

Tony

Frans the adding of bacteria adds alot of different bacteria, some oxidise ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and phosphates etc the purpose is to help reduce nutrients in our tanks. all the bacteria consume their different food sources but the addition of vodka as a car bon source feeds the bacteria allowing a higher population than would normally be found. The excess. bacteria allow for nutrient reduction in our tanks and are removed by the skimmer as a form of nutrient export. I hope this helps

7. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

I have not checked or researched this but would N and P not bind to the carbon in the Vodka. If so, when the bacteria consumes the carbon will P not be released back into the water column. Will check it out when i have some time.

8. Tony

Tony

Keith, I think the carbon just adds another common food source among the many strains of bacteria to allow the bacteria to multiply and reduce nutrients.

9. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Yes Tony i understand that. But PO4 (Pi) is readily bound to carbon so it should bind to the Vodka. But not sure if the volume will make a significant difference. likewise if the "vodka" carbon is good as Calcium carbonate in binding PO4. My be similar to GAC.

10. Tony

Tony

Keith, by carbon do you mean GAC or carbon as is sugar, vodka etc

11. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Tony any carbon.
    Tony PO4 binds to carbon. RHF refers to it in the link at the top of this thread as a means to export PO4.
    Now we know that PO4 is present in GAC. this is because the PO4 is bound up to the carbon. We also know that GAC is not a very efficient in removing PO4 else it would have been marketed as such.

So the point i am getting to is. Is vodka, sugar etc high in PO4? If not, it should bind up PO4 when added. Now once the bacteria consume the carbon, the PO4 will be released back into the water column. My thinking is that this is the reason for algae blooms when starting carbon dosing. Do you think i am making sense or barking up the wrong tree.

12. Tony

Tony

The phosphates are in GAC because it is usually made from a plant source which require phosphates to grow. To get rid of the excess phosphates in GAC, heat RO water to 90 degrees and soak the carbon in it for twenty four hours

The carbon sourse in vodka (EtOH), sugar ( C12 H22 O11) and vinegar (CH3 COOH) are all forms of carbon AKA hydrocarbons AKA carbohydrates because they contain hydrogen, oxygen and carbon. These are totally different to GAC as they dont house phosphates as GAC. Like humans they provide nutrition to bacteria as they would to humans. So in essence we are suppying a food source other than that which the bacteria normally consume to increase the population. So, more phosphate reducing bacteria as a result of carbon fed bacteria will reduce the phosphates in our tanks rapidly than bacteria left to their own devices. HTH

Last edited: 11 Apr 2011
  13. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Tony i read something in Spotte a few years ago that i need to find to refresh my memory. If i get a chance tonight i will try to find.

Yes the carbon dosing is to bring the redfield ratio into line and i fully understand that and the reasons for carbon dosing.

14. Tony

Tony

No prob Keith

Recent Posts