Bacteria for filtration

Discussion in 'Chemical Filtration / Low Nutrient Systems - LNS' started by Jaco Schoeman, 25 Nov 2010.

1. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Hi guys

I need some input on what the best method is to have bacteria help with filtration, especially a high nitrate level tank from heavy feeding.

I know there are a few ways like vodka dosing, but what would be best. My tank is only about 150liters, and other filtration methods currently are skimmer, DSB, cheato and weekly water changes.

I feed VERY HEAVY, yet I must get rid of the nutrient build up.

What would be the best way to go about it?

Thanks!!!!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman Thread Starter MASA Contributor

Oh, and PS: I would like to have an easy method (plug and play) that does not take rocket science to operate, as I have to focus my attention elsewhere, that takes lots of my time daily. ;)

4. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

Large water changes would be easiest and best. or constant small water changes like 3% a day

5. jaybeepee

jaybeepee

algae scrubber. And for that size tank you wont need a big one at all, and only one 20W CFL bulb.

6. Jaco Schoeman

Jaybeepee I unfortunately do not have the space for an ATS - I know they work though... :)

7. Nsteyn

Nsteyn

I have just installed 1liter of Biopellets in a fluidised filter, from the reviews it seems to be working pretty well, but mine is too new to judge yet. It is however plug and forget :p

8. Mauritius-aquarist

Mauritius-aquarist

9. Jaco Schoeman

Thanks, had a look at it. DEFINETLY an option, but leaves me in a bit of a catch 22 situation;

I need to feed continuously, so there needs to be food in the water column as much as possible, but at the same time I must deal with the ammonia and nitrates etc. as they need to be very low.

Now the filter sock would definetly catch all waste before it turns into nitrates etc, but that might starve the system...

SO, what about running my filtration like 12hours a day when I am not feeding, and then have the entire return pump off, leaving the tank cut off from all filtration for 12hours, whilst feed. What ever is then not consumed by the fish or coral can be taken out by the sock no problem!!!

This, accompanied by 10% water change twice a week should do the trick?

10. Monti

Monti

Of the bacterial driven systems, prodibio is BY FAR the easiest. Basically add a vial of each product every week or two... so straightforward and simple... and reefbooster is a lovely amino acid supplement

11. Mauritius-aquarist

Mauritius-aquarist

Wat are ur tank habitants jaco?
    hmm, Also go with quite heavy feeding, but I don't know if its really really heavy compared to u! I feed around atleast 4 times a day! But I have an advantage over you. that I can change water very regularly at low cost Because I use excellent NSW.
    I Change 25% every week.

Wat kind of set up is urs bro?

12. Jaco Schoeman

Full out NPS System...

I feed phyto, zooplankton, cyclop-eeze, live brine, frozen brine, frozen mysis and frozen rotifier every day. The smaller foods and liquid foods are dripped in throughout the day, and at night I feed all the chunky stuff...

For now I have only a few suncorals, two tube anemone's and a gorgonian to feed, so I try and keep the feeding quantity low as not to "waste" any food.

But I will be stocking NPS corals HEAVILY soon, thus my feeding requirements will be huge, far more than any other system would do.

I do not have the NSW advantage like you have (DAMN UNFAIR!!!) so now I am opting for 10% bi-weekly, which totals to a 80% water change each month...

The system is only 150litres yes, so that helps but I'd still like to make sure I do not have a nitrate build up as I had on my previous NPS attempt. Sun Corals and dendro's DO NOT LIKE NITRATE AND AMMONIA at all !!!

13. Monti

Monti

You could also look at the Fauna Marin range... which I believe is available in South Africa (try oceanson). A bit more advanced, and has a range aimed directly at filter feeders (especially their foods)

Fauna Marin Direct

14. Junz

Junz

I would go prodibio,would be easy and not expensive on your size tank

15. Junz

Junz

you would see a real difference if using prodibio and Zeovit stones in combination, the mulm released will definetily help with aNPS system ( not replace your other foods ) and allow you to feed a little less.

16. Mauritius-aquarist

Mauritius-aquarist

Damn, NPS system......I never had any live experience of NPS system, thy must be quite complex system.....

17. Jaco Schoeman

Yes and no... As long as you understand their needs and are willing to put all the time and effort into them, they are nice to keep.

The only thing to worry about is feeding, causing nutrient build up and eventually collapsing the system. You must have HUGE filter capability without taking out all the food in the same breath, so that is the only issue really.

So what are we saying then - do 10% water change twice a week, with the normal skimmer and DSB setup?

Or would Prodibio etc. be used too?

18. Jaco Schoeman

Huh? Plain english please... :razz:

I dont know ANYTHING about what you just said. What is mulm? Do you use the zeovit in reactors etc? I have seen zeovit on the shelf - I think. But how does one run it?

19. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

Well ur gonna be feeding alot and protein skimmers skim out organics right? I would say install a huge skimmer or several very high quality skimmers, skim the kak out of the water, figureatively and literally.

20. Monti

Monti

Funnily enough, a lot of the overseas guys advocate NOT mixing prodibio with stones as each system (ie prodibio versus zeovit/neozeo/fauna marin) is specifically designed to operate under its own circumstances.

jaco, give prodibio a shot and see if its up your street. Cheap and easy to use, and effective if used long term.

21. Jaco Schoeman

Great, so I think for now I'll do the water changes, skimmer and prodibio... Will go some homework on prodibio quickly...

Thank you for all your input guys!!!

Recent Posts