Bacteria Dosing

Discussion in 'Chemical Filtration / Low Nutrient Systems - LNS' started by Manic, 22 Feb 2010.

1. Manic

Manic Moderator

Hey Everyone,

I just started filling my new tank and was thinking of dosing bacteria. There still a few questions I have though and can't seem to find a definite answer. Here's a bit of background info on the tank. The total system volume including sump is around 600L. The skimmer I have is rated for 1200L. I'm going to be using a 250W 20 000K MH. The display tank is 900mm X 900mm X 600mm (High). I'm going to use 50Kg of live rock that I have had for about a year in my other tanks. I'm also going to use 30Kg of base rock.

Now on to the questions:

1) I haven't set up a dsb yet (I have a lot of space for one). I've read that dosing bacteria and having a dsb almost counteract each other. Is this right, should I not have dsb then.

2) Which bacteria should I use?

3) What else must I dose along with the bacteria. So for example, brightwells MB7, should I also dose reef fuel?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. davidfr7

davidfr7

2c In old systems the sump is full of nutrients and trying to start a low nutrient system is harder and takes longer to get required results. With a new sump your results will be quicker. The big plus you will have is a big play ground for pods and sponges and that can only be a good thing so I would say yes. MB7 and bio fuel go hand in hand, so yes to that too.

I use MB7 and then change to stability. MB7 seems to be problem to find at times.

4. Manic

Manic Thread Starter Moderator

Thanks for clearing that up. I'll use a dsb then and start with MB7 and reef fuel from the get go. Should I just use the recommended dosages on the bottles or is there a better way to dose?

5. davidfr7

davidfr7

Yes if all fails read the instructions:). Each system has it's own requirements so you must work it out according to your system

6. Manic

After reading a few posts, I'm still lost. Should I start a dsb or just leave it out.

7. Manic

I've also read about shallow sand beds. Would it not be beneficial to have a shallow sand bed in my sump, just to allow for pods and stuff to have a place to reproduce and grow.

8. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

For those guys that want to go the bacteria driven system route, I suggest using the full system, ie. Bacteria, Carbon source and Zeolites. However, please do your homework properly as lots of systems have been wiped out in the past, but those that followed it properly, were rewarded with awesome results.
    Now, if you are using this method, leave out the DSB and Macro Algae, and just rely on LR and a shallow sand bed in the DT.

IMarine likes this.
  9. Manic

Thanks. Gonna leave the sand bed out. Can you still keep soft corals in this system?

10. Mekaeel

Yes you can Manic. But when running the system with softies and LPS, I suggest cutting the recommended dosage to half. The dosage that is described by the supplier is meant more for SPS, as they prefer a low nutrient/ nutrient poor enviroment. :)

11. Manic

Another thing is I bought live sand. Should I not use this now? Should I not put sand from my other tanks into this one either?

12. Mekaeel

Zeovit.com recommends not using live sand, I have used it with out any ill effects, so I rekon use it. :)
    Dont waste your time with stale sand, start of fresh. I really wanna monitor your thread once you start up. :)

13. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Yip, no DSB, just sufficient live rock and a 2 to 3cm layer of sand in the display tank.

14. Manic

I've added all the sand and rock to the tank. Going to fetch MB7 tomorrow. I just wanna ask, do I need the neo zeo as well and what type of reactor would I run this in. Also where can I get the whole kit, I'm sure I have seen it before.

15. Manic

How's this tank, proving it is possible to start a tank in 14 days:

Initial cycle - just 14 days? - Korallen-Zucht.de

I know some people will be against this but I am going to possible try it. Not gonna use my full sps colonies from the beginning but will use small frags to see how it goes. I hope everyone doesn't give me crap for this.

Gonna go for the full brightwell range of products.

16. sweetnsour

sweetnsour

Looking forward to this dude.
    I would still go a month or two before the twigs go in.

But I think it can be done provided the parameters stay stable

Let hear from the gurus

17. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

Manic,

May i be so bold as to suggest the following... you really need to do more research into the whole LNS method before you embark on it .... I firmly believe it is the furture of SPS dominated reef tanks

However

it is a departure from many of the "norms" we have come to accept and understand, such as the role of the DSB and how zeolites fit into the picture...

My new system is going to be run on this principle and will only incorporate a Shallow sand bed. Macro algae and a DSB are not reccommended, however a cryptic zone is reccommended... placing of the zeolith and correct dosing is critical ....

18. Manic

I'm gonna be doing a lot of research tonight on it and then go buy all the stuff I need tomorrow. I'm not putting huge sps colonies in immediately. Gonna use little 1cm frags off each of my colonies and see what happens.

19. Mekaeel

Hi Manic! If you going the bacteria driven route, use the whole system. Get the Zeolites aswell. Now, you can run the Zeolites in a mesh bag in the last chamber of the sump and knead the bag twice a day until you get yourself a reactor.
    Yes, that is 100% normal. Zeovit systems have a 14 day cycle only.
    Just remember to make sure all water parameters are in their correct ranges and are stable.

20. Manic

Cool, I'm gonna try it. I have plenty other tanks that can support sps if things start going wrong. Is it possible to DIY a reactor. Was at plastic world the other day and saw plenty nice acrylic tubes that looked like they would work...

I haven't seen the zeolites in a while, anyone have an idea of who has stock at the moment?

21. Mekaeel

Very simple to make the reactor. If you visit zeovit.com, browse through the DIY section, it will help you out.
    I know Marco (The Waterboy) has in stock, give him a shout, he does ship.

Recent Posts