Backup Unit - Fine/No Fine

Discussion in 'Power cuts' started by tekkengal, 14 Jul 2014.

1. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

Hi All,

I am looking buying the a UPS unit for my tank but have no idea if it will be sufficient or not, tried searching though the forum and tech documents but I struggling through some of the jargon (pure sinewave, deepcycle etc) :blush::blush::blush:

The unit that I am looking at comes with two 12volt, 65amp batteries.
    Some info regarding the UPS itself:
    Model: ST2010-L
    Maximum capacity: 1000VA/700W

Input Voltage Range 220/230/240VAC ± 25% Singe Phase w/Ground
    Input Frequency 44Hz ~ 56Hz

Output Voltage 220/230/240VAC
    Output Voltage Regulation ± 2%
    Output Frequency 46 ~ 54Hz
    Output THD < 3%

Efficiency (Battery Mode) 82%
    Output Frequency (Battery Mode) 50 ± 0.1Hz
    Overload Capability (Normal Mode) Sustaining 5 min @ 100 – 200%; 3 sec @ > 200%
    Overload Capability (Battery Mode) Sustaining 30 sec @ > 100%; 1 sec @ 150%

So would this be a good solution for my tank?
    Thanks in advance :)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Francois

Francois

That would work, just make sure that it's pure sine wave ups as your pumps don't like modified sine waves.

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

How much power is your tank using at the moment? Do you want your lights to be on the backup as well? What is the minimum time period you need the backup to be able to run your system, or the select equipment you want to hook up?

5. Francois

Francois

Check out ACDC Dynamics product codes CZ-600S-12C and SY120102 this will be perfect and can easily run all your pumps for 8-12 hours, I've got the 1000w pure sine wave inverter, over rated for my application but I must say I'm really happy with the purchase, costly but well worth it.

6. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

Deep cycle batteries is old school. The new thing is lead crystal!

Bit more expensive, but can be discharged to 0% and have a 5-7 year lifespan.
    Deep cycle batteries get damaged if discharged to 0% and have a 2-3 year lifespan.

I don't know if any forum members have tried them on tanks before?

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Actually, they have a 10 year lifespan, but the way we use then, reduces that to 2 or 3 years. If we got proper inverters and generators hooked up, like at big companies and banks IT infrastructure. Where the discharge and charge rates are controlled, then they can last a lot longer than our 2 to 3 years. But yes, those batteries are not cheap.

And depending on the power outage, you will still need a descend size generator. No ways that a battery backup unit could have worked last week in Centurion and kept my tanks up for 3 days. The heaters would have killed the batteries.

Ideally, you only need your return pump on the battery backup. And if you got a NP-Pellet reactor, that too. Providing you with enough time on backup to get home and to start the generator. Unless you got those self start generators hooked up and all set up.

Then again, you need to start the generator at least once a month. To make sure it still does work. My bigger generator broke down after 6 hours, on Sunday night. Valve guide broke. Luckily I got a little 950W generator as well. And used that for only the return pumps for the night. So my emergency backup, needed an emergency backup.

Last edited: 14 Jul 2014
  8. tekkengal

tekkengal Thread Starter Moderator

Sorry for disappearing, my phone line is down again :censored:
    @Francois
    Thanks for the input! Could you tell me how to check if it is pure sine? The spec sheet is all the stats that I can currently see :blush:
    Thanks for the links as well, will definitely check the unit out!
    @RiaanP
    I don't mind having only the pumps running for now (return and maybe two other pumps). I may need to add the heater as well if the temp is really low.
    In terms of the tank's power consumption, that is something that I will need to measure.
    The estimated battery charge is 4 hours (I think per battery, stand to be corrected on this). If the power goes out for longer (if it is a day plus), I don't mind getting a generator to supplement it and then recharging the batteries at a friends house.
    Thanks for the info on the generator as well, was not aware that they needed to be started up every now and again.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  9. zaid

zaid

have generator at the shop..utilising it for regular blackouts. shutting it down on advice of mechanic by closing the petrol tap and letting all the petrol drain from the carburettor as the carb was getting stuck all the time when petrol sat in there when not used..just some helpful advise..

10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Jip, that helps a lot.
    In the older days when we still used to have 87 octane petrol, this was not such an issue. Today's petrol got more additives. When the fuel in the carburetor evaporates it leaves behind some of those additives messing the carburetor up. Same applies to motorboat engines, lawn mowers and all other petrol engines that you do not use frequently.

11. Francois

Francois

Can you please send me a link of the ups.

12. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

hi V

i use a modified sine wave inverter on all my tanks and no issues, i get about 2 days on one battery with my dc pump and vortechs running.
    Its a unit i manufacture.

the only issue as stated above is that deep cycle batteries dont like to be run down below a certain percentage etc.

with so many options now available, solar panels and batteries have become more affordable and provide a great backup and off the grid solution,

13. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

did you ever run SunSun or Seio powerheads on your inverter? I cannot run them directly on the big generator, they stutter (whatever you call it). But OK, it is not the newest model.

14. dallasg

nope, run dc and normal return pumps no issues, and vortechs

15. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

yeah, the DC, vortech and bigger return pumps did not had issues.

One return on the quarantine fails to start, until you lift it out of the water then it runs and I can put it back. It just do not start under water. The Seio and SunSun pumps in the quarantine stuttered like crazy.

Need to come around and test your unit. I am redoing my power backup soon.

16. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Any equipment running from a separate power supply can be run from modified sine. Ac pumps do have issues sometimes.

17. VicZA

VicZA

Manufacture to sell or just for yourself ?

18. tekkengal

tekkengal Thread Starter Moderator

This is the spec sheet I am using (page 3):
    http://www.backuppowersystems.co.za/ups-spec-sheets/T2-Series-1kVA-3kVA-data-sheet.pdf
    Spoke to the guy that is selling me the unit and said that it is pure sine :thumbup:

Thanks Dallas and Marius! That is good to know! :thumbup:

19. dallasg

:)

Last edited: 15 Jul 2014
  20. Francois

Francois

21. ascheff

ascheff

Hi @Francois

I got myself one of these, but I'm having issues with it, so was wondering what your experience is with it, before I take it back to ACDC tomorrow. Just in case it's something I'm doing wrong, and not a faulty / insufficient unit.

I've got the inverter plugged into mains, connected to the battery, and a multiplug with about 1.5m extended cable plugged into the inverter. When I plug my 35w Eheim AC return pump into it, the inverter seems to keep on switching between mains and battery, which causes the pump to keep stop-starting. Plugging only a bedside lamp into it seems to work fine.

It also heats up (overheats?) fairly quickly - the (very loud) fan switches on every few minutes, even during the night. It's currently out in the open with lots of air circulation, on cool tiles. The switching happens a lot when the fan is on.

Does any of this sound familiar?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
Recent Posts