Backup power supply

Reaction score
Hi GuysJust interested to know how all of you guys are handling the power.Living in a complex, gensets are out of the question, so I've been looking at all other options from solar, ups, inverters to wind.Bearing in mind it is only to run the issentials.UPS's seemed to be the best route - so I thought....?, found out that the UPS's I had bought for my PC didn't work, the pumps made a rattling noise and pumped only at about 30%, thinking it was the batteries (as they where about a year old), I got new ones, and still no luck. So I hit the net, found out that there are 2 main type of "AC" output, Modified (simulated) and Pure (true) sine wave.Most (>90%) UPS's and invertors are modified sine, which runs resistive (light bulbs) load ok, but not inductive loads (submersable pumps). What is need is a UPS or inverter that supplies pure sine wave output, the problem is that it costs alot more to manufacture and buy.So after tons of calls I found a 300w pure sine inverter for about R750, the next best was R1400.I calculated I would only need about 60w for my pumps in the event of a power failure, with a std car battery I would get about 9hrs, which would be adequate.I feel this would be the best solution, but if anyone could advise any other ideas, PLEASE could you share them.Thanks in advance,Lighty

Hey, I got a ups running 2 pumps in my system, one Seio about 2200L/H, and my main return pump to the sump (1000L/H), I have a 2kva UPS, it is a sine wave output and so far it has been fine running the tank over 3 hours, I think it could easily last over 5... enough for the load shedding, got a gennie for longer power cuts...

I think the most important thing is to run low watt pumps off it... I am no electrician, but this has been working for me so far....

Hey, I got a ups running 2 pumps in my system, one Seio about 2200L/H, and my main return pump to the sump (1000L/H), I have a 2kva UPS, it is a sine wave output and so far it has been fine running the tank over 3 hours, I think it could easily last over 5... enough for the load shedding, got a gennie for longer power cuts...

I think the most important thing is to run low watt pumps off it... I am no electrician, but this has been working for me so far....

Have you tried running it off the UPS with the mains off? Do you know if its a modified or pure sine output?

We have had a few loadshedding days over the last 2 weeks, and normally power outage is for about 3 hours... I was at home for lunch during one of them... The UPS was running with no problem... I heard no strange noises or anything from the pumps... It is a modified sine output...

Hey dudes,

This is something on my mind lately, despite studing Electrical Engineer some many years ago... I bought a 2.5kva generator about 3 months ago specifically for my tank, my recent concerns were about blowing/destroying any of my equipment which I connect to it...

How do I know whats safe to attach directly to the genny and what I need somekind of inverter for?

I was planning on buying a UPS as well to give me that 60minute window before I start panicing. Seems silly not to use the generator though.

-E

highfive,

do you hook the generator directly to your equipment?

I have 4 seios, 2 returns, and 3 dual 54w T5's, if I hook these DIRECTLY to the generator.. will they be ok?

-E

When needed I connect most of the stuff to the genny... that is 2 Seio's one Resun wavemaker, pump to the sump, and the neddle wheel pump on the skimmer. I also leave one heater on, with one T5 (39W) on the refuge, and one MH (150W) on the display...

Just make sure you dont pull too much from the genny, I think you can use about 75% of the available watts and still be safe....
I probably use about 600w, my genny is a 1.2kw...

Thanks ^5, I'll do the math and perhaps test it, just dont want to blow up anything :(

thats my concern, at the time mine was a cheaper generator (2.5kva) dont think it had the voltage stabiliser, guess I'll RTFM and find out.

Just run the gennie on a cheap light fitting for a few hours and test it.... whats the worst that can happen......

nuclear-explosion.gif

I calculated I would only need about 60w for my pumps in the event of a power failure, with a std car battery I would get about 9hrs, which would be adequate.I feel this would be the best solution, but if anyone could advise any other ideas, PLEASE could you share them.

Water circulation is the single most important thing to maintain during a power outage, and a UPS/inverter is a good solution. Another relatively cheap alternative is to use a 12V bilge pump and a deep discharge battery. Before I bought a generator this saved my tank on many occasions. Just make sure you get a pump with ceramic bearings, and no metal (brass...) parts.

Hennie

Back
Top Bottom