Backup power supply

Discussion in 'Anything DIY Related' started by lIghty, 10 Dec 2007.

1. lIghty

lIghty

Hi GuysJust interested to know how all of you guys are handling the power.Living in a complex, gensets are out of the question, so I've been looking at all other options from solar, ups, inverters to wind.Bearing in mind it is only to run the issentials.UPS's seemed to be the best route - so I thought....?, found out that the UPS's I had bought for my PC didn't work, the pumps made a rattling noise and pumped only at about 30%, thinking it was the batteries (as they where about a year old), I got new ones, and still no luck. So I hit the net, found out that there are 2 main type of "AC" output, Modified (simulated) and Pure (true) sine wave.Most (>90%) UPS's and invertors are modified sine, which runs resistive (light bulbs) load ok, but not inductive loads (submersable pumps). What is need is a UPS or inverter that supplies pure sine wave output, the problem is that it costs alot more to manufacture and buy.So after tons of calls I found a 300w pure sine inverter for about R750, the next best was R1400.I calculated I would only need about 60w for my pumps in the event of a power failure, with a std car battery I would get about 9hrs, which would be adequate.I feel this would be the best solution, but if anyone could advise any other ideas, PLEASE could you share them.Thanks in advance,Lighty

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. highfive

highfive

Hey, I got a ups running 2 pumps in my system, one Seio about 2200L/H, and my main return pump to the sump (1000L/H), I have a 2kva UPS, it is a sine wave output and so far it has been fine running the tank over 3 hours, I think it could easily last over 5... enough for the load shedding, got a gennie for longer power cuts...

I think the most important thing is to run low watt pumps off it... I am no electrician, but this has been working for me so far....

4. lIghty

lIghty Thread Starter

Have you tried running it off the UPS with the mains off? Do you know if its a modified or pure sine output?

5. highfive

highfive

We have had a few loadshedding days over the last 2 weeks, and normally power outage is for about 3 hours... I was at home for lunch during one of them... The UPS was running with no problem... I heard no strange noises or anything from the pumps... It is a modified sine output...

6. lIghty

lIghty Thread Starter

do you know the make and model so I could do some more homework.:whistling:

7. Elrond

Elrond

Hey dudes,

This is something on my mind lately, despite studing Electrical Engineer some many years ago... I bought a 2.5kva generator about 3 months ago specifically for my tank, my recent concerns were about blowing/destroying any of my equipment which I connect to it...

How do I know whats safe to attach directly to the genny and what I need somekind of inverter for?

I was planning on buying a UPS as well to give me that 60minute window before I start panicing. Seems silly not to use the generator though.

-E

8. highfive

highfive

I use the UPS for the 2-3 hour load shedding....keeps the water movement constant...

I normally go home during lunch breaks... if the power outage is longer I hook up the 1.2kw genny...

here is my current UPS:
    http://www.uptech.co.za/docs/blazer1000-brochure.pdf

It is the 2kva one...

9. Elrond

Elrond

highfive,

do you hook the generator directly to your equipment?

I have 4 seios, 2 returns, and 3 dual 54w T5's, if I hook these DIRECTLY to the generator.. will they be ok?

-E

10. highfive

highfive

When needed I connect most of the stuff to the genny... that is 2 Seio's one Resun wavemaker, pump to the sump, and the neddle wheel pump on the skimmer. I also leave one heater on, with one T5 (39W) on the refuge, and one MH (150W) on the display...

Just make sure you dont pull too much from the genny, I think you can use about 75% of the available watts and still be safe....
    I probably use about 600w, my genny is a 1.2kw...

11. Elrond

Elrond

Thanks ^5, I'll do the math and perhaps test it, just dont want to blow up anything :(

12. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

If the gennie has a voltage stabilizer, you should not have a problem with blowing things up.

5.5kva works nicely can run the house as normal.

13. Elrond

Elrond

thats my concern, at the time mine was a cheaper generator (2.5kva) dont think it had the voltage stabiliser, guess I'll RTFM and find out.

14. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

I payed the money and got a "good" one. If you think about how much you have paid for fish and coral the gennie looks cheep.

15. highfive

highfive

Just run the gennie on a cheap light fitting for a few hours and test it.... whats the worst that can happen......

16. Elrond

Elrond

[​IMG]

17. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

Just run it with a good online ups, it will filter and stabilize the power.

18. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

:lol: @ Elrond

19. avdp

avdp

highfive, if I may ask, how do they price?

20. highfive

highfive

I managed to get my 2.2kva for around R2000, but that was directly from the supplier...

21. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Water circulation is the single most important thing to maintain during a power outage, and a UPS/inverter is a good solution. Another relatively cheap alternative is to use a 12V bilge pump and a deep discharge battery. Before I bought a generator this saved my tank on many occasions. Just make sure you get a pump with ceramic bearings, and no metal (brass...) parts.

Hennie

Recent Posts