Back up power

Discussion in 'Power cuts' started by Dre, 14 May 2013.

1. Dre

Dre

With winter approaching we all know that there will be power cuts and I want to ask for some advice. I have a boyu 550. When the power goes out what will I have to keep on and what is the best way to do this. Are there back up power units for marine tanks or what should I do. I also don't want to spending too much money on something. What would you suggest or any advise you could give.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Smirre

Smirre

Buy a small generator,or if the power stays of for short intervals a a battery opperated airater will be enough.Maybe just buy a ups with enough punch to keep your heater and pump running.Not the lights.

4. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

Off the bat, the very first thing you need to buy is a battery operated air pump. If your power cut it only 4 hours ie a load shedding issue, this will be more than enough.
    If you have spare cash get a gennie but you wont be able to run it all the time.

5. Dre

Dre Thread Starter

OK thanks guys but what is an air pump for?

6. Dot Dash

Dot Dash

A 102ah deep cycle battery (R1400), 1000va inverter (R1200) and good quality battery charger (R1500) would cost you mare than a 1kva petrol generator (R2000). That would be the best solution for power cuts that last quite some time. If you shop around you might even be able to find a generator for less.
    The generator will also be able to run some lights in your house.
    Just make sure that you get a certified electrician to install the correct connection for the generator to your DB board.
    For the same price as the inverter option you can buy a 5.5kva generator. All you have to do is shop around. With one of these you can run quite a few items in your home. Just make sure you use CFL or LED lights.

7. mornewil

mornewil Morne

Hey I use a 750va UPS smallish one. Just return pump connected to it. Runs for 5 hours.
    Also have a small generator incase power is out too long

a-jap likes this.
  8. Smirre

Smirre

Air pump just to cerculate the water,remember saltwater an fresh water is diffrent so the water need to constantly move.

9. a-jap

a-jap

butcherman The battery operated air pump do you get one that will automatically switch on when the power is off? If yes then I will go with that to cut cost.

I'm planning on getting an inverter, the cheapest I could find was about R1700, which will charge the battery and switch over if the power cuts. Still shopping around for better prices. This excludes the battery. I like to know that my babies are safe when I'm away.

10. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

I do not know if you get models like this
    Im is the manual kind, but for R80 its a great piece of kit to invest in

not only this but to keep the oxygen levels up.

Recent Posts