back of your tanks color

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by mytank, 16 Mar 2011.

1. mytank

mytank

I have noticed there are two primary colors used for the back of the tanks color. Blue and black. Pet stores seem to prefer blue.

Is it personal preference or do the two colors do different things i.e. Blue brings out color black neutral?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jeann1

Jeann1

Hi

I had a clear back, looked okayish - over the weekend I painted it light blue..What a difference!

I have also read around here that black works..I guess it all depends on you personally.. Have a look at some of the photos on the users albums and see what you like more..

Last edited: 16 Mar 2011
  4. Tremayn

Tremayn

I had a thread to debate this. There are actually a few threads like this.. In the end, blue looks best when you take close up pics of your live stock etc, its more natural but when you have fish like chromis, regal tangs etc they blend in with the blue background. I have seen this and its not nice if you have such fish..

With the black background it makes colours pop. Especially with fluorescent corals and bright fish. It looks really nice. In the end I went with a black background but if you go with either you will be happy :)

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I prefer black,
    and use ABS sheet. Do not like paint.

6. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

the colour is a matter of personal opinion, i have always gone blue and it has complemented my setups beautifully, a littler harder to maintain/keep clean and definatley for the more diuligent reefer if you want the clean tank look.

black is also nice and has its benefits (such as hiding algae growth on the back glass), but can shaddow fish of certain colrs.

the LFS's use blue more comonly as a contrast to show the fish a little better when presenting to customers for purchase.

you can use paint (externally and preferrably a water based enamled such as pearlglo tinted to the blue or black of your choice)
    vynil, also optainable in an array of colours
    or ABS sheeting same as above.

if you paint there is NO NEED to prime the glass just wipe it well with some methylated spirirs and a clean cloth, some fisheyes (blemeshes) will occur due to silicone being present and just give these areas some more attention on when applying the second coat.

vynil is also bes fitted inside the tank with either water pressure holding it or being glued.

too many ways to skin a cat :)

7. Tony

Tony

I like to paint mine black. It makes the corals show better

8. CW

CW

Ill say black.
    Ive got my overflow covered with abs plastic and the rest coverd with vinyle on the outside.

To be blue does not look natuaral.
    But later when your tank is well established the back glass will be covered annyway.
    All depends if your gona clean it or just leave it to da fish to do the work.
    Oh ja, and to your cleanup crew.

Cw out:thumbup:

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Coraline algae on a black background looks better than coraline on a blue. On blue, tank looks "dirty". The blue color contrast to the fish also contrast "nicely" against the pink coraline growth. So it stands out. On black, it does not matter that much.

I use ABS sheet at the back of the tank. 0.9mm thick. Stronger and more rigid than vinyl sheet. So it tends to stay in place easily. Might need to stick just the two top sides with presstick behind the euro bracing. But saltcreep can get between plastic and back of the tank, but you can clean it easier, that is if you can get behind your tank. Paint and salt creep, and paint comes off around the salt creep drip line.

So up to you personal taste.

10. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Im a huge fan of black ABS sheeting. It makes the corals stand out more IMO. And as Riaan mentioned, the coralline looks better over the black rather than the blue.

11. Boegie

Boegie

I am going for blue ABS sheeting with the plan to make a shadow box.

12. Tremayn

Tremayn

The only pro of using blue so far that I have come across is that when you take close up pics it looks better. Another pro of black which I noticed last night is that flow pumps are also less noticeable

Recent Posts