Back Again!

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by JuanS, 5 Jun 2010.

1. JuanS

JuanS

Hi Guys. I've been a "member" of MASA for a little over 2 years now......but not very active. Did my welcome post and then dissapeared off the radar (as I'm sure a lot of new members do).

Not to bore you with details, let's just say after a HECTIC divorce, re-marrying, again, buying a new house and a new job I'm now finally ready to start this adventure.

As I said in my initial posts 2 years ago, been keeping marines for as long as I can remember - with old technology (UG filters!!!), and was sucsessfull - to a certain degree. Unfortunatly the pics on the old PC and camera etc. got "lost" in the divorce, so sorry 'bout that. To recap, only a few hardy fish, fanworms etc. with some dead coral skeletons, nothing spectacular. I did at least learn the basics about water parameters and most of all - PATIENCE.

So that's it, just thought i'd pop in and say hi again. Been reading up a lot over the past month or so, so I've got an fair idea of what I'll be doing (don't worry, nothing to do with UG:nono:). Will post these ideas for you guys to help me out, with a lot of questions, so be warned!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. seank

seank

Hi Juan. Glad you back again. Hopefully it was not because of reefkeeping that you got divorced-- black humor :lol:

Keep us posted on your new setup;)

4. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

Welcome back pal, post some pics and ask questions :thumbup:

5. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

WOW~ Juan! AWESOME to have you "back" then! GREAT that you are able to start again - and be "back with a vengeance!" ;)

OK - so - please don't be shy - tell us about your plans!

Also - even though you have been keeping marines for quite a while - please have a look at the different tanks available (have a look at the "Members tanks and setups", etc) to get an idea of what you would LIKE to achieve with a marine tank......

Good luck! And PLEASE don't be shy to ask questions!!

Last edited: 7 Jun 2010
  6. Jaak

Jaak

Welcome back mate!

7. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome back man, nice of you to pop in again and continue reefing. Keep us updated.

Nice Ferrari avatar ;)

8. Andreas

Andreas

Great to have you back Juan. Now get those questions rolling so that your project gets off to a great start.

9. JuanS

JuanS Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome back guys, nice to be here!

K, so hit my 1st pothole. I planned for my new tank to be a devider between the kitchen and lounge, but the "new" government doesn't want to hear about it! But I still want to try and convince her. She already gave me the old "we'll it seems like you made up your mind already and I don't have a say" line....... so we'll have to see.

I must say, she's been quite supportive so far with only a few "conditions":

1. I MUST use the 2 tanks that her dad gave me..... this might be my second pothole. Comments please...... DT 1500x450x450. Don't know if it's high and wide enough. The length should be fine. It does however already have an overflow in, on the 450 side. Only need to get it drilled for the stand pipe.

The second tank i want to convert for the sump is 1200x450x450. I'm thinking of going the simple but effective route: 3 chambers. The 1st chamber for the inlet from the over flow, 2nd for the DSB, 3rd for the return pump. I'm consdidering to make the 1st chamber very small and to use an external skimmer. I want to do this to maximise the DSB size. Also the 3rd chamber just big enough for the return pump.

That's it for now, comments/suggestions?

Recent Posts