Baby Purple Tang

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by mytank, 21 Aug 2011.

1. mytank

mytank

Hi all,

I finally found my baby purple tang. Poor little one was in a tank with much bigger purples and yellows. Watched him attack the food (pellets with some flakes) when the LFS fed them at my request. He has been there for 5 weeks. He is about the old R5 coin big :)

So I bought him. Needless to say he went straight for the back of the LR to hide and eventually an hour later coming out to swim in the open. He seems to have made friends with the six stripe as they are like Larral and Hardie.

Now he is eating taking the algae and whatever else off the LR. When I feed I use the same flakes and pellets that the LFS was feeding them. The pellets it seems he is to scared to come out from the LR, the flakes well if they float past the entrance to HIS cave ;) he munches them like you can't believe but ONLY if it floats past the enterance of the cave.

Wanting to make sure he was eating got some Nori and a Nori holder. Put it right by his area that he swims around. He goes past it like its the devil doesn't eat it at all. I got the Nori and the holder at Wild on Pets and has garlic etc etc etc etc in it so its the proper Nori.

My questions:

1. Is it normal for him to be scared like this (been 24 hours) - Just asking
    2. He is swimming around the tank like he owns it which I expected but he is very scared when I am feeding - could it be the chromis which go into a feeding frenzy when I feed (they are much smaller than him).
    3. Will he eventually figure out what Nori is? He seem oblivious to it.
    4. Any tips and tricks to get him to feed on the Nori don't want him to starve.

His demeanor is very very active, very protective of his cave and seems to be all over the tank with his buddy the six stripe.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. wukkie

wukkie

I would say that he is doing fine, the fact that he is eating already in teh tank is a good sign. But then again, i'm not an expert. I would say that I don't think there is anything to worry about, he will come round to the nori.
    Can I ask where did you get him from?

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I cannot find a full picture of your tank. You mentioned somewhere its a 194L system.
    Is it about to bloom - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
    And a week ago you had Chromis and clowns. What other inmates do you have?

Now you mention bigger Purples and Yellows? How many fish do you have? Or are these fish in the tank at the LFS? If at LFS, good. Sorry, then I just misunderstood you.

On the Nori, depends. sometimes he have to see other go for it before he realize that it is food.

Also, on a 194L system, I do think you would be able to only keep max 2 tangs. Unless you will upgrade to a bigger tank next year. They needs some length to be happy. So a cube tank is not the best option. They want some distance to exercise. I got 4 in a 1.5m tank, and need to split them up.

5. Tremayn

Tremayn

my purple tang took a few days to get used to me. He would just hide all the time and now he eats from my hand. If he is eating then you will be fine, just give him time. The fish will need to figure out that the noori is food. I introduced my tang to noori in the QT but it was never his fav, he prefers mysis and fish roe.

6. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

Sure pet shops Sa Rietfontien shopping center in PTA had to take my passport out for this one.they have four left.

7. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

Yup I have four little chromis, a one black clown. The purples and yellows (big) where at the LFS not my tank. I don't want another tang only this one I know the system is to small for more than one. When he gets a year old I will sell him.

Bigger tank when I move. Also the four chromis are going two to the gf's nano and I'll keep two.

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Don't do that. Then one will pick out the other one. They are aggressive towards each other in smaller packs. In bigger groups they tend to pick less on one individual.
    Some guys reckon that keeping them in unequal numbers are even better. Either 3 or 5 or 7 or more. For some reason the argue less when 3 compared to 4.

9. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

Maybe I should just get rid of all of them ;)

10. cswhitehead

cswhitehead

i have two chromis and they dont bother each other at all but maybe im just lucky.

11. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

They little terroists .... :) :) They don't let the little clown eat.

Good new's is the Purple Tang was pigging out on some flakes and Mysis today. Still to shy to come out for the pelets (even though this is what he was eating at the LFS).

Will keep putting Noori by his cave even though its wasting the noori at the moment.....

12. Evo R

Evo R

OOO we want a pic of the tiny purple:p

13. Dikdaan

Dikdaan

Yes post some pics...
    And if you want to get rid of your chromis let me know please...

14. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

PM'ed

15. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

Here we go yesterday during climitization :) for an hour and a half will try take a pic today - He is about an old R5 coin size:

[​IMG]

16. Yuri

Yuri

Just remember small tangs like that must get food a lot threw out the day

17. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

I feed flakes and mysis in the morning and evening. I leave a piece of Nooir on the glass during the day whilst I am at work.

he is ignoring the noori though. I notice him eating alot on the rocks....

How often should I be feeding him?

18. Yuri

Yuri

That sounds fine
    Thy also grow fast in about 2 months you will see

19. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

I hope he starts eating Noori......

20. Yuri

Yuri

Think of it like this if you have ice-cream (stuff of the rocks ) why will you eat your veggies ( nori )
    When the ice-cream is all eaten then the nori will get eaten

21. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

Thats just brilliant thanks :) love the analogy!!

Recent Posts