Baby Bristle Star

Reaction score
Spotted this little creature in my tank this weekend

1202497d58e1d911f.jpg

Must have been in the live rock the whole time. This tank has been running for more then 3 months and this is the first time i seen it.

To give you an indication of size, here is another pic
1202497d5931e437c.jpg

Also spotted another one afterwards, a little bigger, but i couldnt take a pic.

I presume they shouldnt be a problem, but let me know if i am wrong.
Anybody else had a bristle star come in with the live rock?

they are good, part of the CUC, they are reef safe from what i remember :)
nice LR

Hi Dogstar, I also have quite a few of those, unfortunately that is about as big as they get:( Good cleaners though!

Hi Dogstar, I also have quite a few of those, unfortunately that is about as big as they get:( Good cleaners though!

Ah heck. I thought they would eventually grow to the sizes you see at the lfs. How come they stay so small? Are they a different species from the types you see at the lfs?

Yip, excellent detritivores as mnd said, not sure of the species though!

Micro brittle stars - hugely benificial detrivores, if I turn my chaeto ball in the sump it is FULL of them!

when u harvest if there is any up for grabs i am keen :) just got my tank up and running

Hmm, if they dont grow bigger then that, must be a different species to the big ones you see at the lfs.

Cool though, glad to see some more life in my tank:D

dogstar, i found a couple in my dsb this morning :)

dogstar, i found a couple in my dsb this morning :)

Good stuff man, lucky you. As i mentioned, my tank has had the rock in there for 3 months, and this weekend was the first time i saw these guys.

i am sure most would given the chance, lucky mine are in the dsb

The fish can't seem to find them ;)

Wrasses MIGHT try and eat them though. BUT, they hide SO well - I have MILLIONS - BUT, they only come out when there's no fish swimming in the tank.... MOSTLY only at night time...

Clinton aka Palmerc has the big cousin of those bristlestars, a beeeeeg one, looks like it came from half-life :p

Back
Top Bottom