Baaienaar- Third time lucky

Discussion in 'uncategorised' started by baaienaar, 10 Aug 2009.

1. baaienaar

baaienaar

First I bought a 1200 liter 2 m imported tank that cracked on one of its rounded corners. So all my stock was moved to an LFS who were great and very patient in allowing me to have a new tank built and run in.

And then it cracked as well!!!!!!!

Yes, believe it or not. I got a frantic phonecall from my son telling me the bottom had cracked ( all I can think of is that there must have been a flaw or some stress in the glass- and yes it had a floating bottom and everything) and eventually all the weight of the water and LR had resulted in the latter ending up on the floor underneath the tank with my sand spread out across the floor of my lapa. Fortunately it was too soon to start stocking yet (blessing in disguise- my stock was still at Pet and Outdoors {thanks Oom Nick ens Nico for your patience})

So there was nothing else to do but sweep up the sand and start all over. I had a new floating bottom inserted as well as extra bracing for the base as a precaution. I moved my 300 liter three chamber sump outside to a little nook I had no other use for, and built up front and rear walls and fitted a removable roof.

The total volume of my system, incl. the sump, is just on 2000 liters. It has an elongated pentagonal shape- two 2m long sides and one short side of 650 mm and at the other end a point created by two 650 mm panels meeting one another at about a 15 degree angle. My weir sits spreadeagle across this point where they meet to re-inforce it.

The tank is mounted in a 2 m wide x 1 m high hole I have cut into the wall separating the familyroom from my lapa, offering viewing from the family room and the lapa. Because of this I have opted for a central reef stacked up and around the weir tapering down at roughly 45 degrees to sandlevel in the centre/middle of the tank. The other half of the tank is stacked to create a 300 mm high irregular swimaround submerged little island. What this does is give me ample reef space for corals as well as creating a huge swimspace for the fish- an idea I got from Crispin.

Underneath the reef at the wide weir-end I have placed two 2500 l/h Seio's to flush detritus out from under the reef continuously. These are the only two in-tank pumps. The return pump in my sump is a 2500 l/h Mianyang, and flow is suplemented by a 12000 l/h Speck pump, a 6500 liter Magnet pump (both external), a 6550 l/h Hailea powerhead, and a 2500 l/h pump all feeding into an overhead ringmain which creates flow by injecting water into the tank through twelve offset 12 mm nozzles injecting water into the tank at 45 degrees.

I am currently manipulating these pumps manually to experiment, but will eventually fit solenoid valves on timers to hopefully mimick churning currents and eddies. I also still have my old cracked tank which I am thinking of repairing and utilizing (amongst other things) as a reservoir to create a waterdump to cause wave-like surges. It will also house a refugium and mangrove, a turf scrubber, and an ICU cum quarantine area in a seperate compartment. All this will be managed by a Profilux management system.

My lighting consists of an 1,8 m pendant housing 3 x 250 watt Metal halides, 4 x fluorescents (2 actinics) and 3 x moonlights on a timer. I have also just mounted 2 x 400 watt Metal halides above the wide weir-side of the tank for when I eventually start stocking SPS's. I have ordered 14000 Kelvin globes for these to ensure I have the correct light quality. Again, the Profilux will be used to create near natural dawn-dusk effects and transisions, lightning and lunar effects if possible.

My sump holds approximately 300 liters in 3 compartments (first = receptacle, middle = DSB and third = return). I have some LR in each compartment and because it is outdoors I have 2 x 300 watt heaters, 1 each in the first and last chamber, to suplement the 2 x 200 watt heaters in my tank and the 1 x 200 watt heater in the RO drum for the auto top-up. The skimmer is a Reef Octopus rated for 3000 liters per hour. I am running a phosphate reactor with carbon and UV, and a Hailea HC- 300 chiller and my calsium is maintained by manually adding 1 teaspoon of settled-out Kalkwasser in a liter of RO to the sump every week until such time as I can add a Kalkstirrer.

Thats's it for now. Photos and more to follow.

Last edited: 10 Aug 2009
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. baaienaar

baaienaar Thread Starter

The system is running for a month now and I had to start stocking it from as early as two weeks once my parameters were close to requirements as the poor LFS had all his display tanks filled to overcrowding with my stock, which wasn't good for his business. I have lost a small fortune in stock as a result of the shock, but I have saved some as well.
    My parameters are as follows this morning:
    PH = 8.2
    KH = 9
    Ca = 400
    Nitrate = 0
    Nitrite = 0
    Ammonia = 0
    Salinity = 1,025
    Temperature = 25,4 degrees C

After the second tank broke, I had to stock all my LR in plastic containers with powerheads circulating the water and a heater in each drum, but then we had a power outage in our suburb in the heart of winter and the water temperature dipped to a low of 4 degrees, which was fatal. My LR was therefor no longer LR by the time my new tank was ready. I wasn't about to buy new LR either, not with having some 140 kg's of the stuff. So I washed the dead rock as best as I could and used it. Some of my corals were mounted on LR so I used them as a starting point for reseeding the LR. I also got some nice seeded sand for my DSB from Lanzo at Dorry Pets which helped, and then I boosted my water with coraline booster and other Seachem products to get my parameters right as quickly as possible. I have now put my system on Prodibio Bioptim and Biodigest ampules and the results are evident.

I know it is unheard of for a system like mine to be up and running after just 4 weeks, but there it is . I hope I can pull this off. I really don't have any other option as I had to move my stock from the LFS after less than 2 weeks.

4. Annoying

Annoying

Hey, you're tank sound great If only we had could see it with some pics (nudge, nudge):lol:.

5. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

Welcome back Baaienaar:wave2:

Parameters are looking good...do you have any pictures of your previous stocked up tank just before it cracked?

Damn this was a nice system guys....this was the first systewm that i have ever seen stocked up n 2-4 months full of corals and fish...and nothing died over the year

i was stumped

6. Jaak

Jaak

Sounds great, can't wait for the pics...

7. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

AWESOME Baaienaar! Great on you to have kept your chin up, and kept on going, mate. Sorry to hear about all the bad luck.

I really hope that you have a smooth ride this time along! Good luck! I am keeping this thread under eye! ;)

8. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Baaienaar...awesome, cant wait to see the pics...

9. baaienaar

baaienaar Thread Starter

[​IMG][​IMG]

10. baaienaar

baaienaar Thread Starter

The above was taken on 6/7/09 taken from inside the lapa.

11. baaienaar

baaienaar Thread Starter

The next was taken same day from inside the livingroom. See how bleached and pale the LR looks.

12. Atilla

Atilla Sponsor

looking good there bro, like Jaques said, keep your chin up!!

13. baaienaar

baaienaar Thread Starter

[​IMG]

14. Atilla

Atilla Sponsor

nice quitar!!;)

15. baaienaar

baaienaar Thread Starter

What it looks like now.

[​IMG]

16. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

baaienaar...Looking awesome...is thr any chance that we might have a peek at your engine room...

17. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

It's looking GREAT so far, Baaienaar! Awesome man! Kudo's!

18. baaienaar

baaienaar Thread Starter

What it looks like now.

[​IMG]

19. crispin

crispin

hello from across the world, it really is good to see you have kept your enthusiasm up, i know youve had a tough road to plough at times.

i am sorry to hear of the tank crashes, thats always tough to bare,i hope this one last to full maturity and that you will be get the sort of tank a system like this deserves.

>Naturally, having sold you that LR and knowing the condition it was in before the crashes i really am sad to hear its taken such a hammering, but i am sure it will reseed and bounce back soon.

the overall system sounds very well thought out, and i remeber well you showing me your plans for the tank when i visited you, in all its brilliant to hear that you have gotten onto the plans and done some of the ideas you had to start with. very well done.

id love to see the engine room, it sounds well planned and knowing your handy work will be well put together.

oh and tell your son he looks better wearing blue, but id rather watch him in green and gold than see him butchering a guitar like that! :)

20. baaienaar

baaienaar Thread Starter

Greetings Crispin

Thanks Crispin
    Good to hear from you. It's your Regal doing its thing in the photo. Most of the Zoas are yours as well and have survived. Two of your pincushions are still going as well.

As for my son, he has just returned from a broken wrist which has kept him out since the Sharks game, but hopefully he will be playing this weekend. He has flu symptoms though, and I have told him to have a bloodtest done for swineflu. It could be fatal if he plays with that, so here's hoping that it's not !

21. crispin

crispin

wow that fish was the size of a R2 coin when it started under the care of a masa member, glad to see its yellowed up beautifully too :)

Recent Posts