B12 Injections

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Nemos Janitor, 18 Aug 2010.

1. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Have you had any experience with injecting B12 to the base of a fish tail. What are your thoughts and do you know if it is harmful?

I see the practise is done on some species for inducing spawning and helping with acclimatising fish to eat prepared foods.

Is the practise also used by importers to reduce fish loss?

I will also do some homework on the subject and see what i can find.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. magman

magman

I might on Saturday inject my queen, if so i will do pics. It looks like it is wanting to eat today, if not by saturday I will hospital, inject and treat for fluke with the jungle stuff.

4. sihaya

sihaya

5. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

i used B12 powder and mixed into a mix i once made.. fantastic stuff... got the idea from the pigeon guys..

6. sihaya

sihaya

Yeah, I don't see why anyone would have to inject it. It's pretty highly water soluble.

7. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor Thread Starter

Thank you for the link.

On fish that are not eating, How does one get B12 into the fish. B12 may be soluble but fish do not take in from the water column

interesting few posts on B12 on this link. Read the posts A failed crypt battle, now vitamin uptake.

VitaminMarFAQs

8. LuckyFish

LuckyFish MASA Contributor

Simple, enrich live brine shrimp with B12 or add to own food mixture. That is what I do with astaxanthin, vitamin c, etc.

9. magman

magman

And if the fish is not eating?

10. Nemos Janitor

OK let me elaborate a little more. Fish that are shipped/transported from farmer to wholesaler to retailer are extremely stressed. On arrival at their destination they should be acclimatised. Some fish are half dead on arrival and do not make a recovery.

Fish that are shipped are not fed just prior to shipping because the fish will defecate in the transport container water causing ammonia and nitrite poisoning.

Now we know that stress causes disease. This stress causes the metabolism to slow allowing the parasites to multiply very quickly.

The point now is how does one save most of these half dead fish and reduce the likely hood of white spot or some other disease.

This brings me to the point of B12 intramuscular injection at the base of the tail or dorsal fin. This will improve the metabolism as the B12 will enter the blood stream very fast. The fishes immune system will improve and disease infection reduced. One can then add the vitamins to enriched live Brian.

Well this could save many fish that do not make it to the hobbyists tank. BUT Is it good practice?

Fish arrive at the LFS and some are given a B12 shot. These fish when seen by a reefer look healthy and sprightly swimming up and down like no tomorrow. When the B12 wares out and the fish still does not eat it dies, often very quickly because the aquarist did not know the treatment it was receiving.

This may open a whole can of worms and i hope reefers do not go out and start injecting B12 for any reason without advice from a vet or experienced person. These practices are not new to fish farming and are entering our hobby. I do not know enough about the subject right now, but i sure will enquire and google as much info as i can.

11. magman

magman

I force fed a bicolour about a year ago, and I enjected it with either baytril or B12, I think it was B12, about a year ago, I will do pics maybe on saturday if my queen does not start eating in quarenteen.

12. Mo_G

Mo_G MASA Contributor

interesting

13. Quintus

Quintus the irish aXeman

tagging

14. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

I remember Johan from naac talking about injecting a fish with b12, he was making a joke that i should do it with my tiny percula :lol: He did mention people do it with larger fish if theyre not eating, you must really know the particular fish's anatomy though. vet style ;)

15. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

intersting nemo..

16. sihaya

sihaya

Sorry I'm not participating much in this discussion... my energy reserves are running low these day. I'm so tired of being pregnant and tired. Maybe I need a B12 shot! :p

17. Nemos Janitor

Congrats on pregnancy. When is the bundle of joy going to arrive? Well you do know that we demand pic's when that day arrives.

On the B12 thing. I have found so much info on the farming and hatchery front but very little on studies of marine fish handling/shipping and disease treatment in coral farm type setups.

18. magman

magman

You got a Peniscillian overdose

19. sihaya

sihaya

October 19th... can't come soon enough. I'm apparently not one of those women who particularly enjoys pregnancy. I suppose there are some cool things about it, but it's enough now... 9 months is just too long.

Recent Posts