automation hardware

Discussion in 'Test Kits, Controllers, Reactors and Dosers' started by mupwi, 5 Jan 2011.

1. mupwi

mupwi

hi all I am needing to go away for work for a few days and will need some automation to look after my tank

I am looking for a feeder for flake food

and a

thermistat to switch on and off my fans that cool the tank when the water temp starts to rise on hot days

are these available? where and at what cost?

thanks in advanced for youre responses

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tony

Tony

Most pet shops will keep ato feeders but I'm not sure on the thermostat. Remember to keep your auto feeder away from the waters surface as the humidity can turn the food to mush. This happened to me before. What you can do is put a heater that's slightly underated for your tank. This had salved my overheating problems

4. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Tony, why would the heater have caused the overheating problems? Just turn them down?

Put the fans on a timer to go on during the day. If it is a cold day and the tank cools down too much, then the heater will kick in and counteract the cooling. Set the temp to 25 or so and thats it. There is no way that fans are going to outcool a heater.

5. mupwi

mupwi Thread Starter

at the moment my tank dosent have a heater at all as where it is situated it never gets cold enough to require one but im thinking that if I cant get a termostat to controle the fan the other option will be to run the fan continuously and put in a heater with built in thermostat for when the tank now becomes too cold at the expense of a bit more power and evaporation

6. Tony

Tony

Marius, I used to run two 300w heater for my 750 litre tank and my temp was always 29-30 degrees in summer with the heater temperatures set on 26 degrees. I now only run one Jager 300W heater and my tanks temperature runs beteen 26 and 27 degrees with the lights on

7. Tony

Tony

Mupwi, just get some fans on a timer to come on when things start getting hot in your area and turn off in the evening. That's about the cheapest option but bear in mind your evaporation will increase so you will need to compensate for it.

Incidently, what temperature does your tank run on currently?

8. mupwi

mupwi Thread Starter

I am maintaining my tank at the moment between 26 and 29 deg on one cold day it droped to 24 but ive never seen it lower and temp can climb to 32 if I dont put the fan on looking like the timer and heater will be the way to go my dad tels me that seperate thermostats used to be available in the old days but havent seen any in the lfs

9. Tony

Tony

Do like I said and attach some fans to a timer to cool the tank when it's hot during the day. I would suggest the fans come on at nine in the morning and turn off with your lights. I would still attach a heater to prevent the extreme drops in temperature you experience sometimes as this can stress corals and fish alike if it happens too often

10. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Go to LFS that sell reptiles. They should have the thermostats that the reptile guys use to switch the heating pads.

11. lloyd18

lloyd18

Hi All,

I am currently having an overheating problem with my tank, where would the best place be to mount the fans and I presume they should blow across the surface, how high above the surface?

12. mupwi

mupwi Thread Starter

at the moment im using a desk fan standing on a bucket ( bucket is about the same hight as the tank) next to my tank blowing at about a 30deg angel onto the water surface but this is just till I get around to building the new hood for the tank then the fans will be installed in one side with exausts on the other

13. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

If you have nice surface agitation then just point the fans to blow over the surface. No scientific ways with which angles are best etc. It really works well. Just remember that your evaporation rate will increase so you would need to top up more.

14. mupwi

mupwi Thread Starter

yes I wasent trying to say it should be a certain angel just explaining my current setup and +1 for evaporation in my 3ft tank I have almost zero evaporation on days where I dont run the fan and almost 2l/day that the fan runs

15. lloyd18

lloyd18

What sort of temp drop could I expect using a fan temp is currently sitting on 29,3 and I have tried all sorts to cool it down.

16. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

on average around 2-3 degrees.

17. mupwi

mupwi Thread Starter

there asre tables for evaporative cooling that show max cooling compared to humidity at the cost here we can expect a max of about 3 deg inland where there is litle to no humidity with an eficient evaporative cooler you could see 10-12deg drops

Recent Posts