Auto top-up

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm looking for some advice as to acheive the following auto top-up DIY unit. My RO unit is positioned in the roof space above the DT. The water must feed to a float activated valve into to container in the roof. Similar in workings to a toilet cistern but the water must not dump into the container, it must be piped to the RO unit and then back to the container. I have a second float valve in the sump under the tank connected to the container. So if the tank needs top-up the float in the sump will drop to open and release RO water from the roof container under gravity to the sump. It's float will in turn drop and open to release water from the mains, via the float valve through the RO unit back into the container.

All very simple appart for the float valve in the container in the roof.

Any ideas where I can find such a thing?

Yes Frans, I had such toilet filling valve as my top up "switch". Until a bloody ant went into the storage container and ended up in the filling valve. The container was empty after that incident and the salinity was lower.
I will have in the new hatchery storage containers above the broodstock tanks. But I will place a tiny pump in the container, which will be switched on by float switches. Two floatswitches connected in series. Asked 459b for more details as he came up with the use of two switches.
The water will be then pumped just over the edge from the storage container and will run down through a thin pipe into the sump. If really something should go wrong, at least the salinity will drop slowly.

If you have two float switches connected in series. one hanging down so that as water it turns on and when it has filled it turns off. the second one is turned the other way so that if first one fails the second one will break the connection before swriously overfilling. the float switches are available at electro mechanica on koeberg road

If you have two float switches connected in series. one hanging down so that as water it turns on and when it has filled it turns off. the second one is turned the other way so that if first one fails the second one will break the connection before swriously overfilling. the float switches are available at electro mechanica on koeberg road

Thanks Glen. Electro Mechanica is in Woodbridge business park, where Lamphouse is situated as well.

The electrical connections must be sealed with extenda chord sealing kits fom builders or spiros mica.ps dave owes me one ha.

Yip the reverse switch works well, if u need a hand post here

Seems no one is getting the grasp of my plan. I dont need / want any electrical components as it's not needed. If I can explan the first section in detail.
From the mains the water line runs through a 3 bar PRV to limit the pressure on the RO unit. From the PRV the line runs to the float valve. From the float valve the line runs through the RO unit and discharges into the container.

The float valve part is the key to the system as this needs to let the water in and out via a pipe.

Hope this makes it a bit clearer.:blush:

Go and have a look at PERKY PETS I did an installation for them on their RO tank. Bear in mind, that rocking water connect and disconnect the float switch rapidly, causing it to arc. It would be wise to fit an electronic reset timer.

Here is the diagram
picture.php

An update on my auto top-up. After talking to some guys I put the RO unit between the PRV & the float valve. Worked a charm! Will post full pics from pc once back home.

Back
Top Bottom