Auto top up TL550

Reaction score
I would like to add a auto top up system to my TL550. Is it worth it and is there anyone that has tried this? Also, how would you go about setting it up? Thanks in advance.

I had an auto top up on my old jbj nano. Definitly worth it as the return chamber is so small and you have to top up every day. I made a small 5 litre tank behind my tank as the reservoirs and then a float switch in the return chamber via a bracket i made out of perspex. I drilled a small hole in the back of the canopy for the pipe and wire of the float switch

Last edited:
This can also be done with an ato valve that is coupled directly to you ro machine and is then controlled with a float switch. With this option you do not need extra tanks or containers.

Yes, you can just get a solenoid between the tap and RO machine connected to a float switch that opens up the solenoid if water level drops, but I've had solenoids fail before.

Pls do not use valve before Ro unit, only after it also do not connect a float sw directly to the valve. This is the reason
why they do fail.

Last edited:
I still prefer to have a separate topup tank since I like to flush my RO unit before using the RO. I discard the first 5 litres of RO the unit makes as this normally has a tds reading of more than 15. But then again my unit is very old and filters have not been changed in years. I know the newer units have an auto flush function but I still prefer to discard the first few litres of RO. And the more electronics you add to the system the more things can fail.

Pls do not use valve before Ro unit, only after it also do not connect a float sw directly to the valve. This is the reason
why they do fail.

But how does this work, if I turn off the water after the unit, the waste water still runs?

The RO unit also sometimes start leaking at the seams due to back pressure if I forgot to turn it off by tap and the physical float switch closes the outlet by the tank. Is there another way to switch it off after the RO unit without having the unit leak or the waste water to still run?

Cool, so you connect it like this without the "water tank" T'd off, but instead of the faucet location, you add a solenoid connected to a float switch?

reverse-Osmosis-Diagram.jpg

I run my 3meter tank with it and also did my 1.4m as the last chamber is small and also a good way to set your optimal level for the skimmer.

Up to date not one of the units I have built has failed.

Did one for perky pets also years ago and still going.

Aah, ok, where can we buy that controller? Or will it work with that 4 way valve and a physical float switch in the tank?

Back
Top Bottom