Auto Top Up - heads up

Reaction score
I have been running the Reef Octo. auto top up unit on my tank since the beginning.

Recently I have been dosing BiCarb in my top-up RO water. This evening my tank started making some strange unfamiliar noises. I checked and saw my return pumps were above the water level basically mean the auto top up wasn't functioning.

Checked all the connections and then finally checked the pump. This was actually pumping but was blocked from some BiCarb built up. Gave the pump a quick once over, and all is working fine again.

So be careful if you dose chemicals in your top-up reservoir.

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for the warning Warren - yeah - that is unfortunately the facts of live - IF you do dose additives to the RO container/water - then be sure to do extra regular maintenance on your pumps.... I manually dose my additives directly to my tank's sump.... not to my RO water container...

Reaction score
I service all pumps every 2 months. Have a nice board where all services are marked off so I don't forget.

Reaction score
I service all pumps every 2 months. Have a nice board where all services are marked off so I don't forget.
Do you strip your powerheads down, I have heard that Coralline needs to be removed as it makes the heads less efficient.

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
You should clean all your pumps regularly, coraline can really chew up an impellor if you let it build up.

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
Well, I wouldn't say you "don't have to do it", it's always a good idea to keep things clean and running smooth, I'm one of those guys that tends to wait for it to stop working before I clean it or fix it :p

Of the pumps that I did clean, after stripping them I found no reason to clean them, apart from a little bit of soft muck they looked perfectly fine to me.