Auto Top OFF help with 12v

Discussion in 'Anything DIY Related' started by a-jap, 18 Jan 2013.

1. a-jap

a-jap

I have a 12v pump ( got it from one of the reef octopus auto top off systems) and thought I would buy a 12v float switch. Do you think this is okay?

I know I need to buy a 12v adapter to run the two but not sure how and if I would need something else to make it work.

Any suggestions and where to buy?
    [FONT=&quot]Thanks[/FONT]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. a-jap

a-jap Thread Starter

Bump

4. Dave F

Dave F

From my limited experience, I would suggest a high and low level flow switch in series, one normally open and the other normally closed. Connect to 12v pump as a switch. When tank is low level the normally open will close and make the circuit filling the tank. If for some reason the low level does not switch off when it gets to high level switch it will switch off the pump and not allow your tank to get too much ro.

The more simple the better, less can go wrong. You can add a 12v relay to switch the pump using the float switch. I am sure someone will come along with a better idea.

5. a-jap

a-jap Thread Starter

Thanks Dave I appreciate the advise. If I understand correctly the low and high being 2 float switches to allow one to top off and the other to stop it from over flowing.
    Are they different switches?
    What I have read so far is that I will need to run a transformer adapter to make use of the 12v.
    Can I run all 3 devices (2 switches and 1 pump) on the same adapter?

6. Dave F

Dave F

Yes they are different switches. The first one would be the one that regulates the level of your water, so when too much water has evaporated the switch will close completing the circuit switching the pump on, when enough ro water was been toped up it will switch off.

The second switch is a safety. If for some reason the pump does not switch off then from placing the switch in the right place will mean that you will only allow a certain amount of ro water to enter the system.

Think of it this way. If you have a 25 litre drum of ro water and the top up does not switch off, you will 25 litres of ro water going into your system, if your system cant handle the additional 25 litres you will have a flood, if it can your parametres will be affected. Make sense?

Using a 12v transformer, you will need to look on your pump that you want to use for the amps it will draw whether it is 12v ac or 12v dc. The switches current is nothing so don't worry about that. So simply put look at the rating of the pump and take it from there.

When you buy your float switches you will need to ask for one n.o. and one n.c. (normally open, normally closed) The normally open will be used as your bottom switch and the nc for your top or safety switch.

Hope this helps and makes sense

a-jap likes this.
  7. Dylant

Dylant

where can you buy those float swithces?

8. mandarinman

mandarinman

Elektro mechanica 53 rand ex vat. Run two in series if you are concerned with jams. Both will activate and deactivate. If one fails the other wont.

9. a-jap

a-jap Thread Starter

Hi Thanks again. Yes it makes sense.

I have just gone to a pet shop and found that pump shows AC but this one has no indication if its AC or DC. Will this make a difference and what could happen if this is a DC instead of AC?

What would It cost on average to make a auto top off System? Are there any diagrams that one could follow to help make one even if its using a normal pump with 12v float?

10. mandarinman

mandarinman

This means no extra ro at all.

11. mandarinman

mandarinman

I have one using normal pump with float switch. Ps keep float switch away from magnet otherwise it locks open

12. a-jap

a-jap Thread Starter

Hi Mandarinman
    Thanks for that. will look out for the magnets. Do you have thread that I could check out and do you have pictures of your auto topup. What kind of rated flow pump did you use.

Last edited: 19 Jan 2013
  13. mandarinman

mandarinman

I will take it out of sump and photograph with explanations as aoon as i get a chance. I am working at moment but should be able to do something tomorrow

a-jap likes this.
  14. Dylant

Dylant

thanks. would this work?? terrible with elec and diy[​IMG]

15. a-jap

a-jap Thread Starter

Hi Thanks I will wait for the pictures. it will def make it more clear to me.

Diagram looks good Dylant, Looks simple enough. are you going to run a 12v pump as well?

16. Dylant

Dylant

thx, yes, i have a reef octo auto running at the moment, but want the second float as a backup to stop an overflow.

is it ok to join the two float switches positive to negative?

17. Dave F

Dave F

18. Dave F

Dave F

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  19. a-jap

a-jap Thread Starter

wow thanks Dave it looks easy enough and no relay needed. def doing that this week<br>

20. Jayte

Jayte

Hi I have a 12v level switch that I run through a 12v relay switching a 220 ac pump for my top up.and the nice thing if something goes wrong no 220 to electrocute u.and my sump level stays at the level it is as I'm oly using one switch!the whole top unit costed me 400 bucks.

21. jagman

jagman

Hi, please be careful when using 12v relays to switch 240v ! If you are using an automotive type relay, don't do it !!!!!!!

The rating on a relay in a nutshell. The coil of a relay (12?) Draws a pair of contacts together , closing a circuit.

The rating of the contacts is the important bit ! If the airgap, the gap between the two open contacts) is not 240v rated, aswell as the spring that pulls the closed contacts apart, the current flowing through the contacts, when either switching on or off, will carbon up. This carboning of the contacts will cause them to either fail open or closed, causing the system to fail and also creating the perfect conditions for a fire !

a-jap likes this.
Recent Posts