auto kalk stirrer/ top up

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by danimal, 17 Jan 2011.

1. danimal

danimal

hey guys

decided it's nigh time i added kalk to the mix. here are my plans, tell me what you think:

[​IMG]

the idea is that the high pressure valve is controlled by a float switch in the sump. when sump level drops, RO turns on and begins filling the bucket. a timer will then control the feed pump which forces water into the reactor, stirring the kalk and forcing water out the outlet and into the sump. the valve between the feed pump and reactor will control how fast water is added to the sump. hopefully i can match this to the rate of evaporation :)

at the moment this is just an idea. reading up on everyone's different methods of dosing and trying to come up with something that will suit me. I am looking for a good combination between automation and simplicity.

ideas, thoughts, crits, suggestions? :)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

sorry, you will not get that right. Evaporation rates differ on hot and cold days. Rather get yourself a proper ATU, instead of a timer.

And when will you rinse the RO unit? Float switch should be used as your ATU.

RO bucket should be big enough. Rather have a float switch that will stop the RO intake. I normally forget to close my RO intake, and then flood my RO container.

4. danimal

danimal Thread Starter

true, thanks for pointing that out. I'll do the normal ATU thing then.

Not quite sure I follow. Isn't the RO unit driven straight off the mains water line? (I don't have one yet, normally get RO from the LFS. In the process of getting my own unit from Marco.)

For now I think I'll go with the slurry method, and just implement the ATU separately in the meantime. Eventually I would like a system that is pretty much self regulating, where all I have to add is the kalk itself. Trouble is, the more complex it becomes the more there is to go wrong :p

5. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Biggest issue I have with the Ro unit on the mains permanatly is that if something goes wrong, then your salinityh will be severly effected with so much RO going in. Unless it will just go into the bucket. But then the bucket will overflow and cause a huge mess.

I would rather have a RO reservoir where the feed pumps gets it water from. Its not that big a hassle to top up the reservoir once a week or so.

6. danimal

danimal Thread Starter

so then you manually make RO once a week or whatever to keep your reservoir topped up?

Last edited: 18 Jan 2011
  7. danimal

danimal Thread Starter

another question. i have been reading as much as I can about this subject, and I want to make sure I've got things clear in my head:

the way i understand it, is that you do not control the concentration of the kalkwasser you add as that is set when the water becomes saturated. you have to watch the amount of water that you add - which depends on your calcium needs, as well as pH and kh etc.

some guys seem to dose all the time (i.e. all their top-up water is saturated), and some only sometimes. I gather then that you need to determine your consumption by testing before, dose a small amount, then test again and go from there.

for the record, my system consists of a DT of 250L and a sump of 160L.

how'm I doing so far? :)

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

That is why you set the ATU to only do very small amounts at a time.

Kalkstirrer pump should also be on same circuit as ATU pump.

so, low water level,
    Both pumps switch on.
    ATU pump push new water into stirrer, pipe exit at the bottom.
    stirrer pump, blows up the kalk cloud.
    water exit stirrer at the top, "clean" water
    level full, ATU stop

BEFORE
    the cloud reaches the top.
    So you only push water that is saturated with kalk out, no actual visible kalk.

9. danimal

danimal Thread Starter

ok while i get my RO unit sorted out I'm going to go with the drip method - shlep, i know, will live with it for now.

tested calcium, ph and alk last night - 380ppm, 8.0 and... can't remember right now, it's written down at home.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

made this up last night, took about 5 minutes. operates by siphon when i blow into the shorter pipe. let it settle and started the drip this morning. will test params again tonight.

10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Simple, yet effective.
    :thumbup:

11. danimal

danimal Thread Starter

thanks.

another question - the left over precipitate that forms at the bottom of the reactor - must that be thrown away whenever a new batch is made up or do you just add RO until it has all dissolved? I seeing as the sludge at the bottom is just undissolved kalk, i assume with each fill of RO a little more gets dissolved until it all runs out. the container is airtight, so CO2 contamination shouldn't be an issue unless the short time it was exposed during transfer into the bottle will cause it to degrade.

12. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

you just add more kalk.

just ensure, that when your ATU kicks in, that it does not run for too long. I got a SAGA unit. And it is set to be able to run max only 1 minute. So that the ATU and the kalkstirrer pump runs together. ATU must stop, before the cloud reach the top. Else you must get a timer unit, to kick stirrer pump only every hour for a minute.

Else, get the new kalkstirrer, just saw it at Dorry. Got a continuous slow stirrer on top. No more pump on stirrer. And it takes less space. About R300 more. (or is it too late?)

13. danimal

danimal Thread Starter

not too late, haven't bought anything yet, only have the coke bottle setup. no impulse buys! :)

Recent Posts