Auto Feeding - Brine Shrimp

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by mytank, 20 May 2012.

1. mytank

mytank

So I got myself a really cool Aquamedic (thanks Adriaan) brine shrimp hatchery. Got some plankton to feed the Brine and "fatten them up" with some nice food for the fish.

As we all know brine have little or no nutrition for fish kind of like candy for the little guys :)

So now those who know me know I love to automate everything, even my coffee machine is automated - no joke....

I was thinking how do I get @Paul B and @belindamotion the brine from their hatchery into the tank.

I was thinking of attaching a small power head to the outlet with a salt water solenoid valve but then the powerhead would destroy the Brine, then was thinking how do I get them into a contraption like @Paul B and @belindamotion...
    Any ideas on how to get this nice and automated :) - Just to get the creative juices flowing....

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

Last edited: 20 May 2012
  4. Mc

Mc

I saw someone done this once a while back but can't remeber how or where.
    I know it has something to do with light, because they are attracted to the light.
    So you need something thats dark and that they can swim out of towards the light and into the tank.
    I could be wrong about that.

5. Keanan

Keanan 2time

@Mc are you talking about @amalick, I think he automated his one.

6. belindamotion

Yes...Paul B did something like that...I've got the pic...
    [​IMG]
    but have to search again for the Thread...I think mytank probably wants it to work off his Brine Hatcher...

7. Mc

Mc

It might be Keanan I honestly don't remember.

8. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

Thanks guys :) yup it would be nice if I could do it with the hatcher.

@belindamotion its the aquamedic one not sure which one..... Its the one with two valves at the bottom, one to release brine the other for the air pump.

Interesting that they attracted to light..... I was thinking of putting it in my sump but that doesn't get much light. Do they need light to hatch and grow???

9. Mc

Mc

They don't need light but I think they need warmth.
    Once they are hatched they will swim toward the light its quite interesting I have hatched them before and used a torch to get them in one spot.

10. Achilles

Achilles

11. Sea-Horse

Sea-Horse

I had endless hassles with "hatch and feed" in a marine tank but I believe that this is not the case when used in a freshwater tank. Problem with a automatic brine shrimp feeder is why and for how long you would like to use it.

You might actually find that you are better off decapsulating shrimp eggs and releasing the eggs into the water where they will hatch within a day or two. The big problem with brine shrimp eggs in any tank is of course the hydroids which reside on the shells and this is why I have to hatch a new batch at least every second day.

If you need help, let me know- I have two surefire methods to decaptulate and hatch in 12 hours or less.

Andre

12. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

@Sea-horse

Thank you! You have got me thinking which is a dangerous thing :) So please excuse the stupid questions. I really want to do this the right way.
    Firstly I was thinking, hatchery in the sump (very low light) keep it warm – so hatchery in the sump water, air pump, tumbling the eggs. Add eggs and presto you have brine shrimp.
    I would like to know:
    1. How long can you keep them – before they go – dead – stale
    2. Can you use the water they are in to feed into the tank or should you strain them before feeding
    3. Do they add a large amount of nutrients into the system if there are un eaten ones – I doubt with Anties and Chromis you will find many un eaten ones ;)

You lost me about the eggs are you saying they don’t hatch or are you saying that the hatched eggs leave a few things lying around?

Thanks for all the info!

13. Paul B

Paul B

You can keep them for over a year but they are only nutritious for about half a day so you should give them to your fish as soon as they hatch as possable. The longer they live, the more yoke sack they will absorb. All the nutrition is in the yoke sack.
    Don't feed the shrimp as they can not eat while they have a yoke sack.
    Don't raise the shrimp and try to gut load them to feed to your fish. That is just a load.
    You can add the water they hatch in if it is only the first hatch. Every time you hatch the shrimp, the water in the container gets worse. I hatch them in old water but on the side of my hatchery where the new born shrimp will go in my tank, I use new water so it is good for the tank and is actually part of my water changes.

To automate the thing you can add a selonoid to open the door on the 2 part hatchery. In an hour, all the shrimp will swim to the lighted side. Then the selonoid will close the door and open the valve to the outlet hose which will gravity feed the shrimp into the feeder in the tank.
    You can only do this once because the shrimp eggs must be cleaned out and the hatchery rinsed.
    I also developed a hatchery where it is a dark container with a tube coming out the side. The egs hatch and swim out of the container into the lighted tank. This is not as good as it is difficult to airate the eggs in the container without them goung out into the tank, but a timer could be put on the air supply and when the ait stops, the door would open to allow the shrimp to escape. This is relatively easy to do. I din't do it because you still must empty the container every day to clean out the eggs and dump out the hatch water.

14. Achilles

Achilles

please elaborate what problems you had with it, interested to know , i understand the eggs /hydroid thing

15. belindamotion

I posted this same Hatcher a few months ago..I still love it and would LOVE one...
    Brine Shrimp Hatch and Feeder - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
    and then someone mentioned that they received some bad reviews...I went and searched the Web and this is what I came across as one of the reasons...
    Artemia,worthy/not worthy?
    Some Sites show that it's one of their best sold items so maybe the manufacturers did some mod's...? It is a few years later...I also saw one guy mention that it works but then it must be put in vertically...don't quite follow as I'm under the impression it HAS to be put in vertically anyway...:confused1:..:blush:
    Review: Brine Shrimp "Hatch N Feed"

Last edited: 22 May 2012
  16. Sea-Horse

Sea-Horse

The airflow needed inside the hatcher enters the unit via the bottom. This in turn caused two problems, either the airline would shoot off or the air build up inside the unit caused the feeder to release itself from the bottom clip ending up floating up into the tank. Every time the entire unit is disturbed the eggs slip into the side that releases the newly hatched brine shrimp which pushes the unhatched eggs straight into the tank.

At the time all "mods" to the unit failed to make it a reliable feeder but since I still have it I can always set it up again to see if the results are any better and report to the group.

A google search should in the most part indicate the problems most people experienced with the unit.

Recent Posts